Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Sashi0, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sashi0

Sashi0 Well-Known Member

Hello, again I apologize if I ever misplace a thread or something.

Trichotillomania (pronounced: trik-oh-till-oh-may-nee-ah) is a type of psychological condition that involves strong urges to pull hair. The condition is fairly rare - statistics show it affects only 1% to 3% of the population, although new research suggests that the rate of hair pulling may be around 10% or higher.

Trichotillomania affects about twice as many girls as guys. Most people who have trichotillomania develop the condition during adolescence. But it can start when a person is as young as 1 year old.

People with trichotillomania pull hair out at the root from places like the scalp, eyebrows, eyelashes, or pubic area. Some people pull large handfuls of hair, which can leave bald patches on the scalp or eyebrows. Other people pull out their hair one strand at a time. Some inspect the strand after pulling it out, or play with the hair after it's been pulled. About half of people with the condition put the hair in their mouths after pulling it.

Trichotillomania isn't just a habit that a person can easily stop. It's a medical condition.

Trichotillomania is a type of compulsive behavior, which means that people with the condition feel an overwhelming urge to pull their hair. People with trichotillomania also may experience other compulsive behaviors, such as nail biting or skin picking. Some may have problems like depression, anxiety, or obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Compulsive behaviors like trichotillomania can sometimes run in families.

Trichotillomania often leads to embarrassment, frustration, shame, or depression about the condition. Self-esteem problems are very common among those with trichotillomania. They usually try to hide the behavior from others, which can make it difficult to get help.

Well yeah, does anyone happen to know about, or unfortunately suffer from this? I have never been diagnosed, but I have suffered from the symptons for many many years. I've felt stupid for so long not knowing what was wrong with me >__<

Hopefully this helps someone out here like it helped me to actually know I am not alone. :smile:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2007
  2. Trip the Dark fantastic

Trip the Dark fantastic Well-Known Member

I know of this disorder and what Wiki states about it that:
    "its an impulse control disorder characterized by the repeated urge to pull out scalp hair, eyelashes, facial hair, nose hair, pubic hair, eyebrows or other body hair."

I see people on the streets, in buses, in trains who have a bare patch covered over by hair and I think, yes, this might be a sufferer from this ICD.

Not too long ago, I realised that me pulling out frequently my nose hair, my pubic hair and my eyebrow hair (not my scalp hair) may fall into this category. I guess it is a mild form from this condition. As I tend towards OCD in everything I do, I have check-up procedures in place, preventing it from going out of hand.

3. Sashi0

Sashi0 Well-Known Member

wow I've never met anyone that did this. It's nice to know. :smile:

I on the other hand do pull out my scalp hair unfortunately. >__<
  4. Trip the Dark fantastic

Trip the Dark fantastic Well-Known Member

5. Sashi0

Sashi0 Well-Known Member

thanks so much :smile:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.