Trichotillomania

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ~Claire, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Does anyone else view this as a form of sh?

I have pulled out my hair for years, it started as a bad habit when I was looking for split ends. Over time though it has got a lot worse, I do it all the time but more so when I am nervous or stressed.

My therapist says it's called Trichotillomania (? sp) & that it is a form of self harm but I don't know if I agree with her. To me self harm has always been about cutting myself & I thought I was doing well by not cutting in a while.

Now I'm just confused :huh:

2. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

If you are doing anything to hurt yourself on purpose then I would say it is SH :unsure:

3. purplefizz

purplefizz Senior Member

It could be self harm. I've always thought it was more of a compulsive behavior though, like a form of OCD.

4. Austere Night

Austere Night Well-Known Member

It can be OCD or SH. I know I've had a bad habit of biting my arms in the same situations.

5. ~Claire

Yeah I'd say it's more a compulsive behaviour. Can't get my head round it being self harm.

6. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

I wouldn'd class anything as self harm unless the intent is to cause yourself harm...clue's in the name :laugh: I would agree it's more a compulsive behaviour.

7. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

i pull my hair out a lot

to me its not self harm when i do it
    but i dont know the situation of how you do it and stuff.

:dunno: sorry hun :hug:

8. ~Claire

:eek:hmy:

Yikes, I have bald patches on my head!

To me, it's compulsive. I don't do it to hurt myself. I do it all the time though, I even do it without realising.

I don't know if I can stop but I sure as hell don't wanna have bald patches :sad:

9. Colourful

Colourful Well-Known Member

^ if you're not doing it to hurt yourself then i wouldn't say it's classified as self-harm..

My dad used to do that when he was younger, anytime he was nervous..i dunno how he stoipped though :S i kind of did that for a lil bit, but it wasnt like really compulsive - though i did get a lil patch lol

i used to just like the feeling.. =S

10. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

heya hun

i dont have any bald patches but i have hair that is in awful condition.

my thing is to twist my hair around my fingers, putting knots into it and then pulling them out. a lot of the time i dont know im doing it.

i also pull my eyelashes out too :hiding:

11. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Why are you doing it?
    Because you like pain, or only because you are nervous?

In first case its self injury, in second it isnt.

:hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.