Tricyclic antidepressants

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Ruby, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi, does anybody on here take tricyclic antidepressants?
  2. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

How many people are on this forum? and NOBODY takes TCAs. Yeah right.. :mad:
  3. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Not sure where you are location-wise, but in the USA tricyclics are not prescribed all that often any more, at least as treatments for depression. There're some nasty side effects and the possibility of overdosing is very real. Or so I was told.

Most people are put on SSRIs Celexa, Zoloft, Prozac and Lexapro. (I take Lexapro and Welbutrin. Welbutrin is apparently in a category almost by itself; I'm under the impression there's no other anti-depressant like it.)

I did take Elavil (amitriptyline) a looongg time ago, from 1981 to 83. It messed me up, but good. I had fainting spells when going from laying down to standing up, I had the mother of all bouts of constipation (about 10 days w/ no #2 action, though my body did adjust after a fashion) and drymouth to beat the band. Of course, since I'd also made two serious suicide attempts and was locked up for three months nobody really wanted to hear about my "side effects." :rolleyes:

In any event, I believe they're still commonly prescribed in Canada and Europe, hopefully somebody with a more recent experience with the drugs will respond sooner rather than later. And hopefully they've been reformulated so at least some of the side effects that I experienced no longer apply.
  4. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

Never tried a trycyclic. The doc would probably consider it a last resort. There's other SNRI's on the market now that don't have as harsh side effects as the old trycyclics, that do the same type of thing.

I'm taking nefazodone, which is a tetracyclic. It's in it's own little category.
  5. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Thank you both for the replies

I didn't know that they weren't prescribed in the US.

I feel a lot worse since i've started taking dosulepin (dothepin whatever). I've heard that it's pretty lethal in OD, which I find quite amusing considering i've overdosed before.. I guess the MH professionals want to get rid of me :laugh:
  6. heartlessfaceless

heartlessfaceless Active Member

i take a amitriptyline.thats a trcyclic i belive.
  7. heartlessfaceless

oh yeh an ive took dothepein before aswell. so feel free to ask away

BOLIAO Guest

due to my treatment resistant depression (Cymbalta only worked to a certain extent) my doc added in amitriptyline (Tri-cyclic). Made me feel more normal but lethargic all day and i sleep 12-14 hours a day and i don't have any motivation to do anything at all so my awakening hours are torturing and all i look forward to is to sleep sleep n sleep.....forever.
  9. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

They took me off the dothiepin because I overdosed on it. I'm now on venlafaxine.
  10. heartlessfaceless

ok. well i didnt like the dothiepin either,some anti deppressants make u want to kill yourself even more than u noramally do...ive had sertraline..dothiepin..sertraline again...citalopram..i overdosed on all of them.then i took mirtazapine which i hated so it only lasted a week. now im on amitriptyline,and i dont seem to bad i guess. i think everyones diffrent.what works for one will push another over the edge.