*Trigger* Banish the Alkies...local letter to the newspaper

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by PandorasToybox, Mar 30, 2010.

1. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

This is a letter sent into our local paper...to say it enraged me would be an understatement. I've read some low stuff but this by far is one of the worst. It really shows who the pricks of society are...

Three solutions
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Email this article
    Printer friendly page

Re Drugs, Alcohol Remain City Concern, March 28:
    I am getting fed up as a taxpaying, law-abiding citizen being blamed for the problem in that I am not supplying affordable activities for the culprits. This whole problem originated with the building of the first Shelter House. Have we forgotten the objections to this building? Have we forgotten that as soon as it was built, merchants were complaining of customers being hassled by drunks, etc.? It enables all the alkies, druggies and other useless people to congregate and cause havoc to hard-working, taxpaying citizens.
    Those of my generation who fought and died for the right of citizens to live in harmony and comfort have alas, died it in vain.
    The gutter level of society are allowed to destroy our way of life, rob, pillage and make it unsafe for decent people to shop even in daylight. The problem of Ms Jorgensen shows how we have let these people run rampant with little or no consequences for their actions (We Did What Police Wouldn‘t; South core retailer tracks down stolen dress, takes it back, letter, March 27).
    The first solution to this problem is to shut down and move the May Street beer store to Intercity.
    The second solution is to do what the Australians did when confronted by the same problem – round up the trouble-makers and banish them.
    The third solution is for the do-gooders and excuse makers to shut up and stop aiding and abetting these criminals.
    Generations of citizens came with little or nothing and made a good living for their families, obeyed laws and respected their fellow citizens. It is about time the present non-taxpaying citizens were forced to do the same thing.
    The next progression in this saga may be the formation of armed citizens to enforce our laws. The present legal system is not the solution, it is the problem.

M.J.K. Robinson
    Thunder Bay

This is disgusting. This person needs to pull their head out of their ass & crawl back into the hole they crawled out from. UGH!

2. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

to me it doesn't say much about the local newspaper either

it's one thing to print dissenting opinions, it another to just let someone spew this kind of vitriol and does not speak for responsible journalism

3. PandorasToybox

I'm shocked by some of the stuff they publish. The only positive thing is that their are those of us who reply to these & generally make those people look like a pile of heartless...jerks (putting it nicely...).
    Drugs, alcohol & crime are a HUGE problem around here. We are also ranked the #1 city for the most murders per capita here in Canada, so we do have a huge problem.
    But in my opinion it is societies problem...we ALL need to help out...those w/ alcohol & drug addictions didn't put themselves there...most stressors that put them there are caused by a member of society, whether its an employer, family member, stranger or whoever...

4. PandorasToybox

I know to everyone on here this letter probably makes very little sense. So quick background on our city...
    We are a smaller city with only a population of around 120,000. We used to be considered a good city to raise a family in & known for our mills. Unfortunately between the mills shutting down & a war in society between the aboriginal & caucasian (sp?) population our city has fallen apart. We have a lot of reserves located close to us & therefore alot of families & their children are brought here. There was a lot of arguements & outcries over the amount of funding the aboriginal communities were receiving (they were given large sums of money, new vehicles, new houses & were not required to work in most cases<--- according to everyone in the city). Im not 100% about the current situation, but I am not against the any member of society.
    Why I am telling you this is because anybody from our city knows exactly who the person who wrote this is referring to. You hear it all over our city & its sad.
    I think we owe the communities more help. Our city gives them a hard time & yet offers little help or relief.
    Our newspapers target newstories that are centered around three things: Mental illness, alcohol & crime. 90% of the time the person in the news story is an aboriginal.
    Our police force is not big enough to keep up with the crime & the chief is a ...moron... who believes it is the fault of alcoholics, aboriginals & the mentally ill, that our city is falling apart.
    Honestly, we have got to be the most racist & bias city known to mankind...

5. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

But they decide to follow whatever vise it is they continue to use. No different than me seeking a successful suicide as an option to end my problems and pain. ESPECIALLY when they are offered shelter or rehab and blatantly refuse the help, but rather sit out front of that building harassing and terrifying the very people of the community that pay tax dollars to keep the facility open.

How often does Joe Public have to see the same individual repeatedly being given (free) chances to better their situation and yet they return to the streets and the drugs, alcohol and crime as a way to "better" their lives. Rather than put in the effort to change. Especially when they can change for the better. It is much easier to take the free shelter but keep abusing the help it offers. Rather than put in the HUGE effort it takes to make sometimes even a small but significant change in their lives. MOST of the offenders you see are just too lazy to keep trying. I say MOST. There are some that do make the effort but still cant find the results they seek. That is an entirely different situation.

If the article you posted was in the "letters to the editor", editorial, or point of view" section of the paper then the individual that wrote the article has the right to their opinion. It may not be what others want to hear or agree with, but it is their right to pen such an article.

To an extent I agree. How much more "help" can a community offer an individual that repeatedly doesnt want to use it? How many times can the public turn a blind eye to the activities that these individuals repeatedly perform that most other citizens would be punished, by the full extend of the law, if they were to commit the same acts? There is helping and then there is just feeding into the problem. I think for these individuals the help has turned in to the free meal they need to continue abusing the system. Albeit a system that may not work for every individual, but a system that has to atleast follow the same rules for all. Not just turn away from a handful. Allowing them the opportunities to carry on rather than really seek the help they need.

This is an age old problem. And obviously the right answer is still a long way in the coming. But allowing repeated offences to go unpunished DOES NOT help the individual in any productive manner either.

6. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

Well said Carla......

7. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I agree, but I think the main point was the racism:

8. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

That's a pretty offensive comparison, obviously a fascist of some sort.

9. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Well... I'm not going to bother responding with a well thought out argument-- instead, my first reaction is:
    "Jeez... people are fuckheads."
    end of discussion. -___-

just... no. there's no point, really...
    Some people just don't consider people who are less fortunate and in pain.

10. PandorasToybox

Again we have no programs here. That is the problem, so no they are NOT refusing help when there is none. If people around here find out you have a MH issue you can forget about it. You will be discriminated against & treated like some freak show.
    Perhaps where you are from there is help, but sure isnt any around here.
    And I NEVER said they didnt have the right to an opinion. DO NOT for one second believe that or accuse me of saying so. What I said is that who gave THEM the RIGHT to say who is and isnt the "scum" of society? Especially when no help is offered. In this city you could put a gun to your head & nobody is going to make an effort to stop you.

11. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

hmmmm i guess they fail to realise that the reason why "our" generation is so fucked up is perhaps due to their generation and what they did in the subsequent 40 years after the war.

12. plates

plates Well-Known Member

thanks for saying this.