Triggered by other's confession

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by AfraidofMyself, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was talking with someone a few nights ago and they felt very bad about their life. This person was saying how much of a horrible person they had been and I was doing my best to comfort them. I asked why they felt they were horrible and then they told me that they had raped another person.
    I instantly began panicking. A flood of horrible memories filled my mind and all I wanted to say was that they did need to go away (but I did not say this). I did my best to keep calm and not have a big panic attack issue. The memories were terrible--the face, hands, and smell of my rapist; the instant fear and panic. I curled into a ball and fought back my tears for awhile. Thankfully I was alone and this person was not here in person or I would have seriously embarrassed myself.
    When I told my boyfriend of this he comforted me and calmed me down completely; I'm really not sure what would have happened if he had not been there for me. I have been doing very well with coping but I guess it caught me so off-guard that I couldn't stop the fear from rushing into me.

I was wondering how to deal with these sorts of things? What if you were chatting with a friend one day and this person decided to confide in you that they had done something like this? How should I have handled this? I did not know how to respond to the person but I was also very triggered into harming my body. Thoughts?

**This story slightly changed to protect others.
  2. It's terrible they told you that, AoM. I hope you are feeling better now. Seems like you have a very nice boyfriend. :cheekkiss:
  3. RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser Well-Known Member

I think you dealt with it well hunny :hug: I hope you're feeling better.
  4. My boyfriend is the bestest :cheekkiss
    I am thankful that my boyfriend understood and was able to comfort me; like I said, I don't know what would have happened if he hadn't been there for me during this.

5. You are very lovely :cheekkiss:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.