Triggered by others scars

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by justmeonlyme, Dec 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

I hadn't really realised this till today but seeing others scars is actually a really big trigger for me... We went swimming today and a notice some scars on one of the girls legs that where clearly self inflicted and found myself very triggered by them. There was nothing overly dramatic about the scars they where no worse than my own. I'm not sure what about them was so triggering but seeing them gave me stronger urges than I've had in ages.

Just wondering if anyone's had similar experiences or as any ideas why this might have been the case

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I have never really thought about being triggered by someone else's scars. I have seen scars on someone's arm before, it did not trigger me but I offered to help, I couldn't help it. I felt so sorry for her. It saddens me to see other's scars, it feels strange too.

I am sorry you have been triggered by this, keep talking, it will help hun. :hug:

3. justmeonlyme

Yea idk I don't really understand why it was such a trigger for me. I'm ok though I'm pretty good and working though urges and just sitting with them now. I'm just trying to understand the trigger as with other triggers when I find them I try to either avoid them happening again or find other ways to deal with them but this trigger is so different

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Like all triggers you will learn how to deal with them eventually, it can be a bit of a shock to see scars on someone else so I can see how it triggered you. Release your triggers in a healthy way. Writing, talking, drawing and you will get there :hug:

5. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

I am triggered in a way JMoL.

I was at A&E once & there was a girl waiting to be treated as was I & we got chatting as you do.

We sort of compared in a way after we each knew the reason the other was there.

She was first and showed me her arm which she had cut quite badly & she told me how she had done it to herself. I reciprocated & showed & told her mine.

Seeing her cuts did make me want to go further with mine but short of sneaking off to the toilets I didn't really have a chance to act out my urges.

She was treated first & then me. When I was discharged from A&E all bandaged up the girl was sat in the waiting room bandaged up as was I. She told me she wanted to wait & see if I was ok. We left together & shared a coffee in a cafe down the road from the hospital where we chatted & exchanged cell phone numbers. We still SMS each other to this day.

6. justmeonlyme

Yea I know thanks hun

7. justmeonlyme

See I can kinda see how someone would be triggered seeing the cuts. These however where fully healed scars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.