*triggering?* Do you think my teacher will get concerned over this paper?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Aphorism, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aphorism

Aphorism Well-Known Member

It's an argumentative paragraph written to the question: “Is it moral to commit suicide?”

To kill oneself is a decision which people make that defines their previous livelihood. It is essential to realize that suicide is a morally acceptable choice. To the most basic core, people of all differences experience the right to live; in contrast, should it not, also be their right to die? To emphasize, there is often the case of the terminally ill. Such patients have suffered for an extended period of time, and generally reach a point of acceptance in their death. Unfortunately, due to laws against suicide and assisted suicide, it is difficult for those of terminal illness to take the final step into their own hands. However, such patients deserve the right to end their lives sooner, if they wish. There are logical reasonings for the desire to suicide, such as financial cost, limit to their total suffering, and possibly giving up their place to another patient in need. Another notion example to consider is a person who feels unfulfilled in life and wants to end their own desperation. Though measures should proceed to give the person proper therapy and a better sense of control, a person should be able to commit suicide without moral conviction, if they have essentially already “given up” on themselves. Because people are merely cogs in society's machine and if they themselves believe they are no longer productive toward it's inner workings, they should merely proceed by ridding the world of the external body. In this sense, it is more morally acceptable to kill oneself, rather than continuing living what feels like a meaningless existent. Objectively, however, people live for reasons aside from their role in a productive society, and this piece may present people with moral conviction at offing themselves. Yet, suicide by nature is morally permissible in its most basic nature.

Do you think my teacher will become overly concerned if she reads this??
  2. dnE ehT

dnE ehT Well-Known Member

It does seem a bit mechanical. We'd have to know your teacher to know how they might react, though.

When you say concerned, what exactly do you mean?
  3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If she does, claim it was merely an argument paper and doesn't reflect your actual beliefs.
  4. letmedisappear

letmedisappear Well-Known Member

While I do agree with the others on this, please remember that schools (or public schools at least) are required by law to record this sort of stuff on your permanent record. If there's a large chance the teacher may be concerned about you after reading this, then make sure to either be able to prove yourself otherwise or, to be safest, just change the topic of the writing piece.

I, however, love it! It is very well written and you present a point that I personally feel very strongly for. Good job, and good luck! :D
  5. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

Depends on your teacher. Sometimes people just hate reading about suicide, and it'll get thrown on your record.

Hell, Dylan Klebold wrote graphic stories of mass murderers and serial killers who always get away with it for his teachers. No one did anything about it, I'm not even sure his parents were notified. That would probably be different at another school.

Also, forgive me for saying this, but your writing style is horribly stilted. No one likes reading papers with stilted speech. I'll give you a good reason, too: Studies show that people who write "normally"--i.e. with normal inflection, choice of words, vocabulary--are considered more intelligent than those who write stiltedly. Try typing like you're typing a letter to a friend. Just a thought.

Or dig yourself up one of Edwin Shneidman's papers on suicide. That guy was brilliant.
  6. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

If I was grading your paper I would most certainly feel it necessary to speak with you in person about your choice of topic; why you chose it, how you feel about it on a personal level divorced from arguments over the moral/ethical implications.

I've edited and graded a few papers on this topic as a TA. Mind you that was for a set of university courses and the topic was relevant to the course material. For a high school student it would concern me, yes, particularly if your choice of topic is divergent from the general material the class has been covering. Although I suppose I may be biased given my own background and the reasons I have for posting on this forum in the first place. Suicide is going to wave red flags for me no matter how clinical your treatment of it may be.

Be prepared to defend your paper in person, minimum. If the in-person chat seems fishy to your teacher then concern will certainly, and rightly, develop.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2011
  7. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

I would say if you have to think twice about it choose another topic.
  8. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Whats a permanent record?
  9. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

A record that follows you around, no matter what school you go to.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.