Trolling

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Scum, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

After a conversation that I had with someone who trolls websites, I wondered what peoples views on trolling are. Like why they do it, whether you would consider it a form of cyber bullying, what you think about people who do this, etc.

Just generally your views on trolling (not necessarily specific to this forum).

Discuss :)

2. Greenforest

Greenforest Well-Known Member

Depends of the type of trolling. Idiots who make fun of others because they are in good situation and never felt anything like them (like making fun of suicide when own life is happy sunshine every day) are stupid. Or persons who disturb others discussions because they don't like their views, but don't give any intelligent opinions or arguments self.

Then there's trolls who just let their mind flow into forums, possibly not even saying anything understandable. They're just having harmless fun to their boredom. Though it can be annoying.

3. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yes, it's another way of bullying. Some people, for reasons I can't fathom, find joy in the miseries of others. It's an easy way of making fun of/beating up on those less fortunate or with disabilities. The people being picked on can't come back and get revenge or bring their big brother to exact revenge. No one can 'see' the bullies, so they feel free to do what they like. Despite my passionate dislike of such people I feel a bit sorry for them. What a life they must lead, finding joy in making others feel bad.:sad: Or perhaps they were bullied themselves and this is how they find relief. Still pathetic, tho inexcusable.

just my opinion

least

4. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

Trolling sucks, period. But then on the flip side you have to look at it like bullying. Its easier for someone to troll - you can hide safely behind a computer. It also implies that the person trolling prolly has a fair few issues themselves too - a lack of self esteem maybe?

Picking on other people makes their confidence goes up, and people use the internet for all sorts of reasons... it's always been open to crap like that. It doesn't trolling right though.

TDM

5. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

I dont respect it in general but there a few places and opinions that deserve to be ridiculed. Like racist forums for instance.

6. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

People that troll this site in particular i think have no life and way too much time on their hands. In general people that troll sit in from of their screens, trying to hurt others because it makes them feel good..it's sad and personally pathetic.

As for what JohnADreams said I agree when people troll racist sites..i believe in instances like that trolling is deserved

7. people dont troll this site..do they?

8. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

Black rose

Their are trolls on a lot of sites but most trolls get caught within a half hour and they are banned and their IP's get blocked

9. i didnt no that. thanks kanani x

10. Edicius si Evol

Edicius si Evol Well-Known Member

11. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

lol, that's really cute

12. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

>>>>>After a conversation that I had with someone who trolls websites,

They actually admitted to doing it? As in having nothing better to do with their time than intentionally initiate flamefests, insult others for no reason, etc.? Whoa. Did they give a rationalization? I know people do it, but I've never understood why. Even as I contemplate ending my own life, I still find it too short to do that sort of crap.

>>>>I wondered what peoples views on trolling are.

Ban them. Early and often. :smile:

>>>> Like why they do it, whether you would consider it a form of cyber bullying, what you think about people who do this, etc.

Nothing can degrade a forum quicker than allowing a few posters to troll unchecked. People will either leave the place or sink to the level of the trolls themselves, or maybe do a bit of both. I say a "bit of both," b/c for better or ill, I've got a hide like a rhino, so I'd likely sink to their level for a little bit, get bored with it and quit the place. Those who have more sense than I do (which must be 99% of humanity) would skip the first step and just bail.

It's almost like some sort of internet forum version of Gresham's Law exists; if a debased currency is put into circulation pretty soon nobody sees the good stuff any more. Okay, maybe that analogy sucks, but I can't think of a better one at the moment. :dry:

>>>>Just generally your views on trolling (not necessarily specific to this forum).

To an extent, what it and is not trolling is defined by a board's culture and mission. A wide open debate forum hitting on weird topics from holocaust denial to alien abduction to the Neo-Templar Conspiracy of world domination is probably going to be pretty tolerant of insults, to say nothing about attracting a rather interesting demographic of posters. A place like this, to survive, OTOH, is going to have to take a pretty strong line towards insults, and probably even allowable topics, given how sensitive some of the folks who come here are. Nature of the beast and all that. What would be normal discourse at one forum (the hypothetical first case I mentioned) is a ticket for trouble here.

13. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Thank you for all these responses guys, and for the comprehensive you gave gmork.

Yes, someone admitted to being a troll. I was talking to them about some sick trolling that happens on sites like these, and he confessed to doing it. Not trolling on here though I just want to add.

My personal view is that it is a form of bullying. They do it to try make others feel worse, so they feel better, or they enjoy the sense of power that they get.

They are aware that it hurts people, so therefore they are making the conscious choice to hurt people, which makes it bullying.

But it works the same as regular bullying because often the bully feels similar to the victim/s, low self esteem, no confidence, etc.

But apparently, they don't see it as this. I would really like people to respond to this thread, if they do troll, just because I want to know the other side, other than that one person.

14. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

>>>>Yes, someone admitted to being a troll. I was talking to them about some sick trolling that happens on sites like these, and he confessed to doing it. Not trolling on here though I just want to add.

Out of curiousity, did they say why they did it?

>>>>My personal view is that it is a form of bullying. They do it to try make others feel worse, so they feel better, or they enjoy the sense of power that they get.

Makes as much sense as anything, I guess. The only other plausible reason I could think of is boredom.

>>>>But apparently, they don't see it as this. I would really like people to respond to this thread, if they do troll, just because I want to know the other side, other than that one person.

If I did such things I doubt I'd ever openly admit to it. Can't imagine anyone would.

15. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

The post that I wrote above encompasses most of the reasons they gave for doing it.

Yes, I agree, boredom could easily lead to someone 'entertaining' themselves that way.

If someone does not feel bad or guilty about trolling then they might be likely to say they do it and explain why. I want them to know they have to chance and this is not just a 'bash the trolls' thread, I want a variety of opinions on trolling :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.