Trouble controlling myself.. any advice?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Wierd, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wierd

Wierd Well-Known Member

A lot of times I know what to do - for example I need to do homework, study for an exam, or go do something about my bank account. But it is really hard for me to force myself to do it: oftentimes I find myself doing things to forget the problem such as playing computer games, rather than trying to solve it. It gets especially hard for me when I know the odds are against me - for example I am not ready for a test, it is evening (or night), and the test is tomorrow morning. The problems just keep piling up, and I just get worse and worse at making myself do things, and eventually I get depressed as a result, and start considering suicide until the problems are solved..

I turned 18 half a year ago, and when I was still in high school, whenever I had problems like this my mom would yell at me and take away my computer games and other distractions until I did it. This temporarily made me feel much worse, as I had no computer games to turn to to numb the problems, but this made me do my schoolwork. Then after a couple weeks of withdrawal, I felt okay again. But I'm not sure exactly how to make myself solve my problems without my mom on my neck. I can't force myself from being on the computer, since I'm a computer science major. Also, I've been addicted since I was 6-7, and my mother has been trying to restrict my time on the computer (up until half a year ago when I left home for college) since then.

I know a lot of people have much worse problems on these forums than this, but if anyone knows any way to do things even if they don't feel like it at the moment, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I seriously need a lesson in self-control/self-discipline.

A couple years ago I went to a couple health professional for my computer game addiction, they didn't really do much in the long run, but my mom was satisfied for a little bit. I really don't want to go on medication for this, I want to be able to solve this on my own.

But I really don't want to get rid of my addiction to the computer - I might not have much of a reason to live without it. All I want is to be able to control it so I can live without being a burden to my parents, and having money to buy a good computer with games. It will be nice if I can finish college and get a job, so I can have money for a house, food, clothing, and to support my habit.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2007
  2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I can't get myself to do things either, actually, I was talking to someone only 20 minutes ago saying I have so much stuff to do this week and I keep putting it off.

Perhaps you should write yourself a plan the day before, a timetable of yourself for the entire day. Perhaps, go to bed at a reasonable time, set your alarm to get up in the morning, make yourself go to the bank then spend an hour or so in the afternoon or evening doing some studying. As hard as it is, do try to resist the urge to play computer games. Keep thinking to yourself you want to pass your exams, and it is very important. I understand it's hard, especially if you are addicted to playing computer games etc.

Maybe when you get an urge to play computer games, do something else such as go for a walk or watch a movie. Maybe if you discover or turn to other hobbies, your reliance on the PC will fade.

What I'm about to say may sound stupid but if you follow my suggestions, keep your word, and don't give into the temptation you are likely to feel. Of course, you don't need to cut computer games out of your life completely but try to limit the amount of time you spend playing them (we go back to the whole time table thing I mentioned at the beginning).

It can be hard doing all this by yourself, and support from around you can help. Perhaps you could let your friends & family know you're going to cut back on computer games and focus more on other activities and your course, they can give you the encouragement and support that is always helpful. Also, perhaps you would benefit talking to one of your tutors/professors. I'm sure there's some sort of support you can help. With technology making such an impact as it is on society today and the advances, computer addiction is more common than we think, so please don't feel ashamed or stupid or anything of the sort when you reach for help. It's a genuine addiction.

Take care of yourself. :hug:
  3. Wierd

Wierd Well-Known Member

That sounds like a great idea! Thanks a lot! Even if I start with only a little - setting aside an hour for tomorrow when I am necessarily productive just for the sake of being productive and not because I have anything already scheduled - it will help I think..
  4. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Sounds good to me... good luck with it. :)
  5. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Well-Known Member

thats one of my main problems. i bought a car a few weeks ago off of someone i work with...and i have yet to even get insurance or plates for it, it just sits in the parking lot.
    my room is always a complete mess, i bathe like twice a week, my hair is reaching my shoulders, my finger nails just grow and grow untill they snap off, pop cans all over the house, some old bank account i have yet to close after its been empty for about a year, i havent brushed my teeth since i was 16, the ashtray in my room is over flowing...but im playing thru Bioshock for the 3rd time since thanksgiving. i would be playing it i probably only get in about 4 hours of "me time" a day...and it all goes to video games. you are not alone.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.