Trust

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by RyanKey=MyLife, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanKey=MyLife

RyanKey=MyLife Well-Known Member

How do you trust anyone? When everyone you have ever trusted has betrayed your trust?

2. HOW

HOW Well-Known Member

Take your time building a friendship with someone and only trust them once you know they won't betray you. You can also wait till they trust you.

Of course like everything in life it's hard. It takes my forever to trust someone and even then I don't trust them like a normal person would, there's always this sense of mistrust on my side.

3. endlessskies58

endlessskies58 Well-Known Member

i find that you can trust different people with different things and not with other things...

like... a simple example is that you can trust my grandfather with a secret but you can NEVER trust him with money.

or i have a best friend whom i can never tell her a secret, but i know she will never flake and will always do what she says she will.

you just need to figure out who you can trust with what.

so i'm unsure of what sort of trust you mean...

but if it is that you are worried about people talking sh*t behind your back... don't be offended... everyone does it and it's only to start conversation or to vent... i LOVED my boyfriend to pieces but i would always vent to my friends about all of the bad stuff because it was just bothering me or something to joke about. i still loved him completely...

we all do it. i'm sure even you do... so let other people do it too. just because they talk, doesn't mean that they don't like you. if they really don't like you then you will know...

4. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

trust is difficult for me right now.

i have always trusted people easily.... but this latest betrayal has damaged that part of me.

lack of trust, if you have been betrayed, could be a self-protective mechanism. guarding your damaged heart from further trauma, at least until you heal and move foward.

and ...we can learn things from betrayal - like maybe learning to choose more carefully who we trust and things to look for in trustworthy people...

but lack of trust, over time, can cause us to experience disconnect in relationships, and/or prevent healthy relationships from forming.

and any relationship - whether romantic love or friendship - requires a certain amount of risk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.