Truth and lies

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Not_so_trusting

I don't know if it's me or if other people are feeling this way. I just have to get this out because it's been kind of bothering me. I find it harder and harder to believe people these days. It's hard to decipher truth from lies. I mean it's hard anyways because it's the internet and who knows what's truth and what's lies. It's just gotten so hard to trust and believe the things people say. I don't like being that judgmental person and say I dont believe some things but it's gotten to the point (for me at least) where the truth is becoming more and more far fetched. It's gotten so bad that I second guess almost everything people tell me..it's sad that it's like that and I wish that I didnt feel that way. I know that with the net it's tough to judge the truth anyways but now it's twice as hard....

Any thoughts....

It's not uncommon to feel this way. People can't be 100% sure of anything (objectively) although with further observations and experiences, we may become more convinced of our beliefs, more trusting in the behavior of our acquaintances, and so on. Trust is about moving closer to that unreachable point of absolute assurance, and finding comfort in what we believe deeply, though not completely.

It is of course just as common for us to lose belief or trust when unexpected and negative situations occur that challenge previously observed patterns. The more we're betrayed or lied to, the more prone we may become to paranoia and distrust of others. Just as it's possible to become overconfident or gullible (too much trust in self or others, not enough logic) people can easily become insecure, paranoid, or too skeptical/ cynical. (not enough trust in self or others).

So it's obvious we're always looking for that healthy balance, somewhere in the middle of the spectrum between these two extremes. It's easier said than done to achieve that balance, and it can be difficult to gauge where we are in some circumstances, as it is highly subjective.

In the context of human interaction though, you can probably safely assume that you're too paranoid or insecure if your social life is suffering from your fear or doubt of those you don't know well. On the other hand, if you're simply "second guessing" what people say, there's nothing wrong with that. You're only trying to examine information properly to ascertain truth.

From what you've said, I don't think your behavior is particularly abnormal. You should feel good about questioning things, and keeping an open mind. This is especially true with the internet, of course. It would do you good to relax occasionally, and not take everything too seriously all the time. Keeping a light-hearted sense of humor and "disconnecting" from internal debate and introspection once in awhile is healthy behavior for all of us, think of it as a vacation away from the stresses of critical thinking. It prevents us from getting 'burnt-out'. Hopefully you'll feel better after a break, and be ready to pursue truth again with a clear, well-rested mind soon enough.

I like to remember that we're only human after all. Humans are merely 'children' exploring a vast universe around us, we only have our five senses and primitive minds to analyze data. Our communication and language are limited in many ways as well. Humans aren't designed to comprehend it all. So don't take anything too seriously, and try to have some fun and enjoy being alive in the here and now. =)

Sa Palomera

well I understand why and where you're coming from. It's understandable imo.
It just really sucks, to say the least. One person can damage your trust so much :sad:

I'm sorry I don't really have any advice or anything :sad:

I do have hugs to offer though :hug: :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00