Truth is Stranger than Fiction

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Winslow, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Truth is stranger than fiction.
    From Gloucester Echo news:
    A serious migraine can lead to nausea, sensitivity to light and even temporary paralysis of limbs, but for one woman it resulted in a foreign accent.

Kay Russell, 49, went to bed with a severe migraine and when she woke up found she was speaking with a French twang.

The grandmother, from Bishop's Cleeve near Cheltenham, is thought to be one of only 60 people in the world known to suffer from foreign accent syndrome, a condition which damages the part of the brain that controls speech and word formation.

They believe it is triggered when tiny areas of the brain linked with language, pitch and speech patterns are damaged.

Speaking to the Gloucester Echo, Mrs Russell said: "As a sufferer of this syndrome, you are not trying to speak in an accent, it is a speech impediment.

"Whatever accent you hear, it is in the ears of the listener."

Mrs Russell is most commonly mistaken for French or eastern European.

She continued: "It also affects my hands and makes me write with a foreign accent. For example, I say "peoples", not "people", and that is how I would write it.

"You lose your identity and an awful lot about yourself. I feel like I come across as a different person."
  2. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

There was another woman maybe a couple of weeks ago that I saw on an aussie morning news show. She too had a mirgaine and then woke up with a distinct american accent.

It'd be random suddenly. People would be like "lol yea..."
  3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

wow that is tells you that brain is a mysterious organ that anything can affect it....
  4. Winslow

Due to the housing shortage here, there was a local classified ad where somebody was actually renting out a CLOSET to be used for Living space, yes, LIVING space. The ad said "This space is best for someone who doesn't stay at home much, and literally just needs a bed to crash. We did some tests with a metal bar so you can definitely 'lock' your door for full privacy. Obviously there is limited storage space. Closet to be rented for just $100 a month." Many people responded to the ad, and so somebody got the closet immediately.
    (Home Sweet Home. lol)
  5. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Yeahh... that is strange, but I'd believe it.
    Ever since my little brother learned to talk, we noticed that he has a very noticeable Danish accent.
    He didn't start speaking fluently until he was 7 years old. Up until then, he was pretty much mute and preferred not to speak at all. We encouraged him to talk and taught him new words constantly, but he just didn't feel like saying anything. He talks alot now-- as a teenager. All of his classmates assume that his family must speak with accents too... but we're all 3rd&4th generation Canadians at least- and speak in a non-regional accent.

None of our family members are even descended from Denmark XD
    He didn't even hear a Danish accent until he came to stay with me when I lived in the city and worked for a Danish woman; and by then, he was 14.
    It's a speech impediment that was brought on by a similar condition as the one in the OP story.

...weird, right?
  6. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

haha~ aww...
    Well, I've seen PLENTY of strange ads on craigslist and even in Toronto newspapers. You might be a bit disgusted by all of the old men trying to rent out their apartment to young girls in exchange for 'personal services' rather than money.
    creepy. :huh:
  7. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

lol :tongue:
  8. Winslow

Strange but True news item from London's Daily Mail:

Michelle Philpotts of Spalding, England, and her husband, Ian, and their two children have adjusted, since a car crash 20 years ago, to her anterograde amnesia, which, every day, robs her of short-term memory, forcing her to constantly re-learn her life. According to a June profile in London's Daily Mail, that includes Ian's convincing her that the stranger in her bed every morning is her husband, which he does by showing her their wedding photograph.
  9. Winslow

Strange but true news item from Brewster, Massachusetts (U.S.A.):

When Ron Sveden's left lung collapsed, doctors initially diagnosed a tumor, but on closer inspection learned that Sveden, of Brewster, Mass., had ingested a plant seed that had somehow migrated to his lung and sprouted open. He is recovering.
  10. Winslow

A Houston Chronicle review of "authorities" on animal "consciousness" suggested that perhaps dogs are embarrassed when their owners dress them in tacky Halloween costumes. "Pet Psychic" maven Sonya Fitzpatrick said she was certain that some feel shame at their owners' poor fashion sense, but another practitioner said dogs' reactions were probably only to their physical discomfort with the clothing itself.
    If anybody on this SF forum has pets, maybe they can comment on that. In my case, I've never had any pet so I don't know. At least I know that pets can feel pain and show anger and love, so they are capable of emotions. But can they also feel embarrassment as pointed out by Sonya Fitzpatrick?
  11. Winslow

Did anybody else see on the news about the Philipines where they have legalized gambling for funerals? As funerals are very expensive, the purpose of the legalized gambling right at the funerals is to help pay for the expenses. Lately,though, a problem has arisen because criminals make fake funerals so they can profit from such gambling.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.