Trying Bio-Oil for scars

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Inanimate, May 9, 2016.

1. Inanimate

Inanimate Well-Known Member

I bought 4 oz of Bio-Oil on Saturday to hopefully at least significantly reduce the appearance of my scars. 4 oz is certainly not enough, but it's a start. I haven't used it yet; I'm a bit nervous. I understand that I might not see results overnight, and I supposedly need to apply it twice a day for a minimum of 3 months. I'm anxious about possibly using too much at once; this shit isn't cheap. I just want these scars to look as old as possible. If anything, I want the discoloration to go away. I'd like to wear sweat-shorts or shorts in general without being too self-conscious sometime soon. From the summer of 2014 to the fall of 2015, I was seriously so confident that I was going to commit suicide -- that the immoderate amount of self-harming that I was doing was negligible. Whatever. I suppose I can live with the scars as long as they're faint. I still think I'm going to die soon, but I'm not so intent that I'll do whatever I please.

So, yeah, Bio-Oil -- hopefully it won't disappoint.

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am going to start using bio oil today too. I have been meaning to get around to it but the price of it is very expensive especially when you have to apply a good bit twice a day. Thanks for the reminder. I hope you see good results from bio oil, I want my scars to look old too, hopefully in a few months they will, please don't be ashamed of your scars though. I was in the dental surgery one day and I noticed a woman looking at my scars and she moved away from me and I was like ''what a twat, miss perfect''. People maybe are scared when they see scars but don't let it ruin your life, I hope you will be able to wear shorts by the time the hot summer heat arises! Best of luck to you.,

Inanimate likes this.
  3. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Good luck, I really hope it works! I'd like to hear updates about this.

I am currently giving Vitamin E ointment a go... it was recommended by a tattoo artist who overheard me say my tattoo on my wrist was itchy in the summer, he said it had developed scar tissue because of sun exposure... and that Vitamin E was good for scar tissue...

I am testing it on one scar, as well as the tattoo... (when I remember, grrr)

Inanimate likes this.
  4. Inanimate

You're welcome! I'm glad that I'm reminding people. I'll try not to be ashamed of my scars. I just don't want them to cause unnecessary attention to myself. Wow, right? What a bitch! She could've maybe been more discreet about her fear. I hope I can wear shorts too; I don't even have any. Good luck to you too!
    Thanks! I'll aim to give updates every 2 weeks to a month perhaps, or whenever I notice notable progress.

I tired vitamin E oil with sugar quite some time ago, but I didn't like the way it felt on my skin. It was too viscous and gritty, and it irritated my skin. I don't know if vitamin E oil and vitamin E ointment are the same, but whatever I was doing wasn't working for me. I hope it works for you nonetheless.

ThePhantomLady likes this.
  5. Inanimate

Just want to say what I think of this so far.

I haven't noticed progress; that's to be expected because it's only been 5 to 6 days compared to the minimum of 3 months that I need to use this. The product itself is surprisingly plentiful for only 2 fl. oz. per bottle. It's viscosity is to the extent that it spreads sufficiently but not so much that it can easily cause a mess; it's pretty convenient. You basically squeeze Bio-Oil out in drops, and 1 to 2 drops is enough to spread down one side of my forearm, and 2-3 is enough for each affected area on my thighs. For me, that's 6-10 drops, twice a day, and looking at the bottle now, it looks practically the same as it did when I started. Pretty neat.

6. Inanimate

Hmm, it's been a month and a half since I started using Bio-Oil, and I need something to do before I succumb to napping again, so I'll give a brief update.

This stuff works, first of all. I don't have before and after pictures -- none of that bullshit, but most of the scars on my thighs have significantly faded. I have several scars that are newer and had stemmed from deeper cuts, so they just need more time. I have fewer scars on my arms, so the progress there is easier to recognize; the discoloration is virtually gone with only slight redness present on some of them. All in all, I am pleased. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing with the bottle and a half that I have left and probably buy another bottle after the minimum of three months have passed.