trying hard not to drink

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by sadhart, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

So I'm trying really hard not to deal with my pain by drinking but I don't know if I can do it. I can't talk to my family about it because they aren't very supportive and there aren't any A.A. meetings nearby or whatever. I'm trying to avoid anything that will give me a reason to drink but it is hard to avoid my family.

I'm sorry if what I said didn't make sense.

2. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Sadheart, you made a lot of sense.. i often find diversion is the key here.. a book, a tv show, a walk around a couple of blocks.. when the urge becomes all powerful try to do something else instead.. good luck with this.. tc, Jim

3. sadhart

thanks for the advice. I ended up asking a relative to take me to a meeting though I didn't say what it was. It will be my first one though.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Good for you hun AA meeting is a good start you will have support of people who understand h ugs

5. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

You have more courage than me.

6. sadhart

I have been to two meetings but I haven't said anything yet, just listened. I wanted to talk, but I was scared to open up. I also go to group counseling sessions, and they have been helpful and insightful. But it's still hard especially this week with family being here. I want to love them and appreciate them more, but they aren't very understanding to the pain that's in my life. It's constantly just a one sided thing with them and that can be stressful.

And they aren't the only triggers....I mean I am constantly dealing with so many worries like returning to school and getting over rejections.

Sorry for dragging this on like this.

7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Don't be sorry hun it is good you are talking about your sessions it helps bring clarity to them It will take time to open up hun to trust the people around you but it will happen Just take one day time okay hun you are doing great don't look to far ahead hugs

8. SarahForgot

SarahForgot Member

I understand. :( I'm here if you. If you ever get urges or anything, because believe me, I understand how hard it is, feel free to PM me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.