Trying hard to eat healthy - need some advice

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Shock, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I am after some advice. I am trying very hard to loose weight and eat healthy and exercise. However though I am gaining a good amount of stamina through exercise (half hour non stop running a day, plus 1.5 hours heavy gym training twice a week) nothing else is changing - in fact last a looked i had put on a little weight (though it could just be gaining muscle from the the gym).

I think this may be because of the foods I eat. I thought I ate healthy but Ive been adding up the stats and it seems not so. For example I know the recommended daily intake of sugar (for male in mid 20s) is 82 grams - yet before Ive even reached lunch I have consumed 57 grams from foods I earlier considered healthy - Muesli with yogurt for breakfast and a small container of diced pears for morning tea (and this is not counting the spoonful of sugar in my tea today).

To go under the 82 grams just seems impossible without starving yourself. I am a bit down by all this. It just seems an impossible battle!

Could anyone suggest to me where I could find a list of foods that are truly healthy? Or any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks heaps!

2. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

is that 57 grams of sugar, or is it complex carbs?

3. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Just sugar

4. chipper

chipper Well-Known Member

my first advise is go check a nutritionist but loosely here are some things that could work:

1) AT LEAST 8 glasses of water everyday. Ditch the sports drink, that's 150 cal per bottle
    2) Consume 70% raw food everyday = vegetable salad and fruits. if you are going to put sauce in your salad, do not pour the the sauce. Remember that sauces have oil, a quarter tsp of oil is about 40 cal or something. just dip your bites and just dip enough for it to taste. If you can keep to raw food, that's better
    3) The 30% processed should be one or a combination of the following : grilled fish, wheat bread, peanut and oats
    4) Drop fastfood completely

5. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Buy sugar substitute for the tea.
    Drink only diet fizzy drinks.

Hate to say it cos I personally hate them, but lentils and pulses are the way to go to feel full and of course (cos they taste like shit) they're good for you :laugh:
    Skin off chicken.
    Remove fat from meat, and eat loads of fish.
    plenty of fruit and veg, especially bananas, full of energy giving goodness and make you feel full.
    Oh and one tip, have one indulgence day.
    Mine is Saturday, when I allow myself something I really like, usually a cake.
    If you don't allow yourself any indulgence you're more likely to give up.

6. chipper

chipper Well-Known Member

my first advise is go check a nutritionist but loosely here are some things that could work:

1) AT LEAST 8 glasses of water everyday. Ditch the sports drink, that's 150 cal per bottle
    2) Consume 70% raw food everyday = vegetable salad and fruits. if you are going to put sauce in your salad, do not pour the the sauce. Remember that sauces have oil, a quarter tsp of oil is about 40 cal or something. just dip your bites and just dip enough for it to taste. If you can keep to raw food, that's better
    3) The 30% processed should be one or a combination of the following : grilled fish, wheat bread, peanut and oats
    4) Drop fastfood completely

7. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get to caught up in counting grams of sugar for each day. Instead focus on avoiding the wrong sorts such as refined sugar and the hidden sugars added to products like micowave meals, manufactured foods, drinks, cerials etc. Some Muesli's like you said you eat are loaded with sugar, think about preparing your own. By avoiding simple sugars you will help reduce blood sugar fluctuations which cause insulin spikes that will store excess bodyfat, you can help this further by eating foods with low glycemic index. Try to limit how much carbs you get from things like rice, wheat, pasta, (white ones particually). Try replacing them with your vegtables, salad and oats.

You ideally want to eat small and often like five or six small meals for example;

Breakfast: Try to eat within one hour of waking.
    Snack
    Lunch
    Snack
    Dinner
    Snack: Don't eat right before bed.

This will keep your metabolism high allowing you to burn off more calories.

Drinking lots of water is good and will help. It optimises conditions for fat loss, helping the liver to convert stored fat into energy. But you don't have to be super strict you can drink other things than water just watch out for ones high in sugar or fat.

Don't forget to eat protein like lean meats, dairy etc. If you don't your body will cannibalize itself for food, you may not mind too much but less muscle mass means less calories burnt off during any given activity day etc. You want to keep your muscles, don't go ott though, just don't forget to eat some.

Fat itself will not make you overweight you don't need to cut out all fats, the ones found in fish, seeds, nuts and some oils are essential for a healthy body. Butter, meat fat etc are not.

Tip, plan your meals! You could try buying all the food you will need for the week ahead and prepare them the night before or something. So you are less likely just to snack on the biscuits etc.

An hour and a half on the weights is not needed it would be more benifical to stick to one hour and try to make it as intense as possible. Forget doing endless isolation exercises try to do compound exercises, ones that involve many muscles. Like squats, deadlifts benchpress's.
    With the running you'll get more from it by mixing it up add intervals, for example warm up run for a bit then run fast for 200m that jog slow for 200m then run fast for 200m etc. You will burn more calories doing this, more fat. Five or six days a week is enough make sure you give yourself a rest day!

Good diet food: Eggs, vegtables (potato not best yams better), all fruits, brown rice, wholewheat bread, oats, nuts (be careful high calorie), milk, wholewheat pasta, lean meats (chicken, turkey), beef (lean cuts), lentals, tuna (uncoated fish i.e. not batter, breadbrumbs), beans, pork (lean cut), healthy oils, seeds (be careful high calorie), low fat yoghurt (check sugar not massive before), soy, low fat mayo, soup (low fat), There are so many.

Avoid: Microwave meals, deep fryed foods, minced meat unless like 90% ish fat free, crisps, white wheat products, biscuits, fizzy drinks unless diet, sports drinks, cream, chocolate, sweets, pizza, takeaway/fastfoods, battered foods, hi calorie cerial, precessed/manufactured foods, watch ready made sauces some very hi sugar).

If possible try to swap the sugar in your tea for a sweetener.

That's all i could think of, good luck. :smile:

8. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Thanks all - very heartened to receive such good advice!

Distilled from your messages, heres my plan to eat well:

Breakfast: Muesli (will try and learn to cook home made) and yoghurt or 2 eggs and wholemeal toast.

Lunch: whole meal pasta with red sauce and limit cheese or lean ham sandwich on wholemeal bread with tomato.

Dinner: tofu, lentils or lean beef mince in stir frys or curries with plenty of vegies

Snacks: fruit salad (no added juice)or garden salad with dipping sauce. Tea with skim milk and sweetener or coffee skim milk no sweetener or sugar.

What do you guys think?

9. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Have a great muesli recipe if you want it :smile:

And that menu sounds good, but remember to have an indulgence.

10. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

Are you still drinking alcohol? I'm amazed at how many people out there will be serious about their diet and exercise program and yet keep drinking just as much alcohol as they were when they were putting weight on.

If you're serious about weight loss then that means cutting out alcohol. None. Alcohol is a triple whammy to anyone trying to lose weight.
    1. It's calories you don't need in the first place.
    2. It's liquid calories. At least with solid food calories the body burns a few calories absorbing it. It doesn't do that with liquid calories.
    3. Alcohol slows the metabolism. The more you drink the longer the effect lasts even after your last drink. Go on a bender and that slowed metabolism can last up to 3 days.

If you're still drinking then try stopping and see what happens.

11. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Looks good although adding some healthy fats would make it better (oily fish, nuts, olive oil etc).

12. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Hi There,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes I still do drink - but socially, maybe up to 4 (low carb :) ) beers on the weekend. Just to confirm - your saying it the alcohol that is damaging by its self and not whats in the actual drink? (yes I'm clutching at straws here)

13. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

Alcohol is bad, very bad. If you're not an alcoholic and serious about losing weight you can give it up for a while. It will not only help you lose weight but you'll save a few bucks too.

14. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Hi all,

thought I would give a bit of an update here.

I have tried to stick to my meal plan though not completely religiously. I still drink on the weekend but have cut it out a little bit. I am now running 5.4klm (3.3 miles) a day and doing boxing for 1.5hrs twice a week.

I have lost about 3kg (6.6 pounds) which is great and am probably at my most healthiest yet! Alas, I am still having issues dropping the alcohol - I just really find its the best way to relax on the weekend - something my stressful job requires.

15. NiceGuYKC

NiceGuYKC Well-Known Member

You can't beat a bowl of Bran flakes or shreaded wheat for breakfast.
    Fibre is very important.

16. Autumn01

Autumn01 Well-Known Member

The Tone it Up girls diet plan/exercise plan would be a good one to follow. http://www.toneitup.com

But yes eating 5-6 small meals a day is good plus exercise. And yes eating things like- Kale, other green leafy vegetables too along with pretty much all other vegetables and fruits. Also egg whites, quinoa, tempeh, chicken, fish, greek yogurt, larabars. Stevia for sweetening tea, protein powder is fine to use. Nuts, avacado's, natural peanut butter, natural almond butter, oils in small amounts. Drink half your body weight in water.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  17. Autumn01

Autumn01 Well-Known Member

I love the plain shredded wheat :)

18. LillMy8989

LillMy8989 Well-Known Member

What about skipping siugar totally

19. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Well-Known Member

sugar is POISON! use xylitol instead, it occurs in the body naturally.