Trying not to self harm.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by aussiegal, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aussiegal

aussiegal Well-Known Member

So I am wanting right now to self harm so badly. No idea why. But I hate myself, my body everything.
    Only reason I havent so far is because I am worried my boyfriend will find the scars. He has already told me that he can't handle it. How am I going to get rid of these feelings for self harm? Love him but loving self harm a bit more. How sad is that.
    Dont know what to do.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You get outside you go for awalk you changed that place you arein hun get away from tools hugs

3. Moat

Moat Banned Member

You need to change your habits, something that is able to take your thoughts from such actions whenever you get the urge.
    Like our dear moderator said, a walk helps, but I have found that walking (me in particular) gives much time for self reflection and personal loathing) so maybe I would suggest an activity that keeps you busy, a physically demanding sport, for example, which not only uses your body but your mind to keep you focused and not to stray into self-reflection.
    In that regard, rock climbing is a rather good activity also swimming.

4. Sea Sparkles

Sea Sparkles Well-Known Member

Try something called urge surfing ...

The general gist of urge surfing is where you tell yourself, “If I still want to self harm in 20 minutes, then I can.” In 20 minutes, re-evaluate your position and tell yourself, “If I still want to self harm in 30 minutes, then I can.” Keep doing this. Try to go to sleep – things seem less intense when there is morning sunlight.

More often than not, this technique will work. It’s worked for me countless times. We get lost in the moment so easily and we think that these feelings, these urges, these cravings are never going to go away. But they will. They will pass, just like every other emotion. We just need to give it some space and give it some time, and accept it for what it is. It is a craving. We don’t need to act on it just yet.

Urge surfing is a mindfulness technique – you can learn more about it or go into more depth here:

http://www.mindfulness.org.au/URGE SURFING.htm

5. aussiegal

aussiegal Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Managed to get through the moment with a combination of urge surfing and then distraction through exercise in between. As always, things have settled and are a lot better today. In fact... I almost made it through a whole day without having thoughts of self harm. Almost. Thanks again. You are all awesome!

6. Sea Sparkles

Sea Sparkles Well-Known Member

Awesome!! :hug: keep it up sweetie!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.