trying to calm down

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by flowers, Jul 22, 2013.

1. flowers

flowers Senior Member

okay, here it is. Rant number 2

I keep my mind occupied by watching tv. Often I am not watching it. I just need the comfort of another voice. Radio or CDs dont seem to help. It has to be a visual thing. It has to be TV.

I got a DVR from comcast called X1. Its the only new box people can get. The other DVRs are refurbished and rarely work properly. I have had 4 of them over the years. So I decided to go with this. The comcast guy came to install it. Was supposed to be there between 1 and 3. he showed up at 4:30. I was already not happy. Because previously I stayed home for comcast and no one showed at all. Turns out they cancelled but didnt let me know.

anyway the guy showed up. He hooked up the new DVR x1. I was horrified to see that the font is so small on the screen that I have to get up and go to the tv with my eye glasses on and try to read descriptions of programs. Or the Channel its on. Both are in faint font. I think this thing is made for large HD tvs. I do not have an HD tv. Nor can I afford one. So right away that threw me way off balance. Having the DVR is my security. But this thing was an alien. And i could not read descriptions of what was being shown on TV.

That was yesterday. Tonight i went to watch a DVD only to find out that the comcast guy unhooked the three color cable things from my DVD player and used them to hook the new x1 into the TV. And left my dvd player therefore not usable.

I called up comcast. The woman said sorry she cant help with that. I called back. A guy said that he would send someone to the house to fix it. I asked if I would have to pay. he said he didnt think so. But really its up to the descretion of the guy who comes out. Then he tried to sell me insurance. yes, comcast has insurance. I was very very upset. My security is gone. And I cannot afford to take the chance to have a comcast person charge me.

I wrote to the consumer protection division of the state attorney generals office. I filled out an online form. But I am upset because this is they way I get through life. I am agoraphobic. And my mind goes into fear a lot. Now I have some foreign object called an x1 box, lol. And a DVD player that does not work. I feel thrown off balance. And I feel powerless.

I cannot pay the comcast person. My refrigerater needs to be fixed. And I cannot afford to pay someone to come out to fix it. Twice a day I have to take a plastic large chisel to the bottom of the freezer to remove the ice. If I do it twice a say I can chisel it off. Still its a lot. But it is not so thick that it cannot be reoved with some good physical strength and that handy chisel. But really, I dont know how to hook up the DVD player. I would have known how before the DVR was replaced with the x1 and he removed the cables from the DVD player to do it.

So thats my rant. I feel so ungrounded so out of wack. So scared. I really feel scared to be honest with you. As embarassing as that is. I live on a thin tether. Thanks for reading this.
  2. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

Flowers.... I am sorry. :hug: could you look online for how to hook it up correctly and follow those directions? And I would be calling again first thing in the morning and making a scene until they do it for free. It's their mistake, so no way in hell should you pay for them to return and fix their error. And, you are welcome to give me the phone number to call......! I can be persuasive ;)
  3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I just hate these things refrig made a big noise and shut off, and I started to cry...five minutes later, the air conditioner made a big noise, but still worked...I was some evil spirits took over my are not alone in this...just the frustration alone when dealing with these corporations is unbearable...for me, the worst is when I have to negotiate for my medication...I pay top premiums so it is covered, and somehow, every few months, I have to fight...wish people just did their jobs! Hope the DVD gets fixed but in the meantime, look online for recorded will be surprised how many there are
  4. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Thanks Mo and Sadeyes for responding. Its always frighting to be ignored. So I am very grateful to you both.

awww thanks for that amazing offer Mo. I am so tired of trying to deal with Comcast. So they can sort of treat people the way they want. They are a huge corporation. Usually I am persuasive. But right now I do not have the energy to fight them. I posted yesterday in the comcast forum. But my post was ignored. The other peoples posts were answered. hugeeee trigger for me. I miss my old DVR. They all are sub standard. But at least the font on the descriptions of shows etc is not small and light gray on darker gray background. And of course I miss my DVD player. I just called the State's attorney general's office. They are going to contact Comcast. They said this is something they should be able to resolve. I hope it can be done fast. The TV and VCR and DVD are my lifeline above everything else. They can divert my mind

Sadeyes, are you saying your refrig completely stopped working? And you had to replace it? Way too many of us live under a financial threat. The concern that something will break. Did you have to get a new refrig? I am glad the ac only complained but kept working. But that sound must have been so frighting.

in terms of negotiating for your medication to be affordable, This is shameful. to pay a fortune for insurance and then have to fight for your right to be able to afford your medication. Shameful for anyone to have to fight for that. No matter what they pay for insurance. (pretend we are in the soapbox area please).

I have a needymeds card that I always keep with me. I can use it when my insurance will not pay for something. or when they only cover a small amount. eg my insurance would not pay for clonazepam. The pharmacist explained that insurance companies usually do not cover any of the "pams" So I asked him to try my needymeds card I had downloaded and printed out. I kept it in my wallet for such occassions. Needymeds paid for about 80% of the cost of the clonazepam. I left the pharmacy only paying about 20%. These cards are free to download (and then to print out). And everyone qualifies. As long as they do not use it in conjunction with another insurance card. they can use whichever one they want for any transaction.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013
  5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

What a great resource, except, my medication is at least $3,500 per infusion, so unlikely anyone would want to pay for it other than private insurance or Medicare...sometimes not even accepted on I am left no choice but to get premium insurance from a company that I know matter what the monthly premium is, I am still better off doing this as the additional cost of the actual infusion is $500 per month so total at least $4,000 per month...if it only would work! Refrig working again so I am not under water with it as yet...hope you get the whole Comcast issue resolved...I hate this all like you do
  6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

sorry hun these company is screwing up things. Definitely they need to get ass back out there and fix it for you and no fee for sure. They screwed it up not you
  7. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

if they reused your cable instead of giving you a new one, make sure that they give you a second cable for free - it should have been part of the installation
  8. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you've hard a hard time. Cable companies can be a pain in the butt. I have heard nightmare stories from other cable companies that I stay away from. Mine is not too bad, except the old box I have (I've had it for almost 9 years) freezes up...then I have to unplug and replug it. If I were to get the new one, it's smaller but it costs money and it doesn't have the time. So I understand the need of old things and fearing change. My dvd player is also 9 years old. To watch the dvd I have to unhook the cable and hook the dvd to the tv...

I also need the tv as a clean, to write and do all kinds of I totally understand. I don't know what I would do without my tv/dvd and computer/internet...
  9. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

During the most recent hurricane, my phone worked while all other services were down...I clung to that thing (and I hate this phone)...monopolies are just a pain
  10. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Okay, I learned how to replay to multiple quotes. So here is me showing my prowess :D

I am sorry that things are like this. Will refrain from going on about my thoughts re healthcare in America. But I do think you know what they are.

It is probable that they would not charge me for doing it right. But there is no guarantee. And I cannot afford to pay them to come out. So I am wiating for the Consumer protection division of the state attorney generals office to make an arrangement with them. This is in the works. I dont mess around, lol.
    I toally agree with you. This is why I have not gone out to buy a new one. But If I knew how to hook it up myself, correctly, I am sure I would have bought the second one and just done it. Sometimes the fight is not worth it.
    Sometimes things can be a blessing in disguise. Since getting the new X1 DVR, and the DVD player is not usable I have started listening more to music. I am positive this is much more productive. The frequency of the well chosen music is much more beneficial to me.

monopolies benefit very few. And yes, Comcast is a good example of that where I live. It must have been awesome to stay connected during the hurricane.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013