trying to get someone out of bed (literally)

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Petal, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I know someone who is very depressed, all he does is lay in bed 24/7, gets up to use the loo and shower, doesn't cook, lives on chocolate bars. I know he's on meds for depression..but thats all up to his doctor to sort out. What can I do to help him?

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Give him suggestions of smaller, simple things to do...that way he will not be overwhelmed with the task...make a cup of tea, or a sandwich, etc...or write you an email...respond to one...we all have to start some where

3. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

Start by reading to him, newspapers etc? can you do that?
    Or maybe set up some good food for him to have, either in person or maybe online ordering.
    I dunno.
    Can you talk to him about whats going on in your life and the world in general, find out what used to interest him and gently work that in?
    Maybe the best thing you can do, is just be there, let him know that.
    Love and kindness are free, thats enough to give anyone.

4. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I think it's a case of being a complete nag and just keep at him regularly - no major huge suggestions, just keep letting him know you're there - at some point he'll take you up on one...

5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

i can tell you what worked when i was in bed meal time i felt obligated to get up when someone made it for me phone rang i got up then to get meds that were needed If someone needed my help i got up Get him to go to dr appt if you can to get meds changed or upped Put something interesting on tv for him to watch Tell him you need him to get up to fix something for you just somethings that got me out of bed hugs

6. warrabinda

warrabinda Well-Known Member

ok bit more info

does he live alone?
    age?
    partner?
    employment?
    how long has his hx of depression existed?
    how long has he been this severe?
    other MH services i.e counselling?
    is he accepting of help both informal and formal?
    contributing life stressors i.e. bereavement?

to start with it's excellent he's showering. there's still personal hygiene which is a very good sign.

7. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

make him laugh, tickle him, threaten to pour water on him and his bed.

Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.