Trying to keep things positive

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by maximum_ride94, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey everyone,
    First, I'd like to thank anyone who has taken the time out of their day to read this. To be honest, Im partially nervous and somewhat skeptical to explore and embrace this forum. Depression has taken control of my life and I'm struggling to recover my old self whom I miss dearly. I hope that I've made the right decision by attempting to find solace here. For years I've held a false bravado and convinced myself that I was strong, needed no one and could fight all my battles alone. I'm defeated and waving my white flag. I just hope to find a support system who will help me put life into perspective again and vice versa.
  2. vil2liv

vil2liv Member

I will tell you the same thing I told my long life friend who I've known for almost 25 years! He used the same expression, "Now I am waving with white flag." Only raise white flag when you realize that ALL other options are gone. That you have to deplete all options and even when you think you did that, more will emerge. So, there still isn't time for white flag. Maybe for some recuperating, but definitely not for a defeat.
    I've been using this forum for few days, and already read some great stories, and realized that this forum is full of nice and good people, who don't judge, but instead listen and provide advice. So, you'll be in good hands :)
  3. Thank you! I crave the optimism you emit. I'm not quite defeated in the aspect where I'm ready to say goodbye to this world. I don't take suicide lightly and haven't assumed that the answer to my problems is a permanent solution. Although, I will admit the idea of death has crossed my mind on more than one ocassion. I'm not waving the white flag to surrender my life rather I'm waving my flag to mainting my false bravado. As time progresses with sustaining it I become more hollow, lonely and numb. This is my attempt to gain control in my life before I sink so deep that I hit rock bottom. Thank you for your hospitable welcome!
  4. sick2deth

sick2deth Well-Known Member

Keep moving forward and try to discover your new self because the old self is in the past now, I don't think we can ever have it how it was again...However we can make sure the future is more fruitful. Life's about adapting and change, Moving on and finding peace where we can get it. Everyone has a little bravado that carries them, It's not false it's perfectly natural. Don't give up just yet! Struggling with what things used to be like will only make stuff hurt more when it's whats happening tomorrow that is way more important.
  5. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

My mental illness has taken over my life as well. I too, really miss my old self. I used to really enjoy life and had a really good life, but I'm afraid that that's all in the past now, unfortunately.
  6. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I can relate to you. I once enjoyed life but now I trying to live life on a day by day basis. It's hard but one day like you, I will see darkness turn to light. You have to be brave and battle through the bad times to succeed in life. Please be strong and be safe my friend.
  7. Arasia

Arasia New Member

I read you first post. I can relate so well. I miss living my life. I hope joy returns to you soon.
  8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forum. There's no need to be nervous here although I can understand why but we're all friends. I hope you tell us more about yourself and why you joined up :)
  9. sick2deth: I agree completely with your point of view. Many people, including myself, miss their old self rather than trying to accept the new person they have become or are becoming.
    AAA3330: I understand what you're going through and looking back at the past its hard to imagine or remember how or when your life spiraled downwards. I hope you're able to find peace within yourself and build a better tomorrow no matter how much time and effort it takes. Even if it's just one baby step at a time.
    Unknown_111, Arasia: Thank you for your kind words, I hope we can all move past the days when a dark cloud of depressuon hovers over us stripping away confidence, self worth, energy and optimism. I guess we can all just take things one day at a time and, although easier said than done, try our hardest to turn our negative thoughts into positive ones.
    Petal: Thanks for the warm welcome. I would like to eventually share my experiences as well as hear countless others.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.