trying to quit smoking...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Petal, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I have been trying to quit smoking for the past few weeks, have tried patches and nicorette chewing gum, but they havent helped at all. what worked for you? id love even if i could cut down..im currently smoking between 20-40 cigarettes per day.

2. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Hi Lynn there is a guy called Allen Carr who has a really good method for stopping smoking. I think you may have to buy his book but a friend of mine reckons he's really good and he has an amazing success rate. Google Allen Carr Smoking and you should find some info about him. Best of luck.---- He says and lights another fag. Never tried him myself:biggrin:

3. Petal

:laugh: thanks hun! ill check him out :)

4. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I'm glad to hear that you're trying to quit smoking Lynn, before you do any long term damage to your body. Good luck hun. I've heard that it's one of the hardest habits to quit, but I know that you can do it hun. :hug:

5. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

it's a good book and a simple concept. a persona has to really WANT to quit
    rather than think they should or know they should etc..I speak'sx from
    experiencs'x :rolleyes:

but ze book is gut. hardest thing to quit there is. worse than heroin.
    but don't give up daisy!!

6. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

been through it, daisychain. its not easy. needs willpower I'm afraid

it took me three or four attempts to get off the cigarettes. my 'method' was always cold turkey. the first attempt didn't go so well, couple of days
    the second was a bit better, a couple of weeks.

I can't remember how long the third time lasted, but I was in a job I hated which made it a lot more difficult

fourth attempt worked :)

my method involves staying up really late the night you quit. then having a long, really long lie the following day. then you go to bed early. your first day is the hardest and if you can make it really short then you have still achieved your 'first day'. once you've done it. it's a case of making it through the next four, then the nicotine is out of your system and you're only fighting the habit after that.
    I'm not going to say it's easy, even after 9 years, I occasionally catch myself thinking about having a cigarette...:unsure:

best of luck, you can do it hun :hug:

7. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Smoking sucks.

I cut down from 30 to 20.

Now, after 1 months im back to 30 again:(

8. zetaf

zetaf Well-Known Member

(Read this)

Good news. I haven't been a smoker in 9-10 months now. I feel i can throw that part of me away and move on now. Daisychain just trust that you won't feel the need to smoke the way you do now if you go through a couple weeks of literally FORCING yourself not to no matter what. Studies show that habits are formed in about 6 weeks... so habits can also be dropped in 6 weeks. After 6 weeks you won't even THINK about a cigarette unless you are next to someone smoking and even then it'l be easy not to have one as long as you remember to be rational. You are bigger than cigarettes so just put in the effort and you can beat it. Goodluck :smile:

6 weeks of avoiding cigarettes to avoid a long and painful bout with lung cancer in the future? Of course it's worth it!

9. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

==============================================

Hi, I found that understanding how the nicotine works on my brain helped.

http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/nicotine/a/nicotineeffects.htm

I found that understanding why I started to smoke helped aswell (only you know the reasons you started).

You *need* to believe that you *can* quit and that you *will* be able to, otherwise you're chasing a dead rabbit.

You'll probably get urges to smoke for a while, but they will die down as time goes by, you might get headaches, disturbed sleep, or even ulcers, but push on through, and you'll see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Also, here are some benefits of quitting.

http://www.quit-smoking-stop.com/quit-smoking-benefits.html

:smile:

10. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I've just started reading this book by Allen Carr... It seems that he helped so many people, considering comments on other sites...

If it will help, i'll post here :)

Im not naive ussualy, but this looks like something that could actually work...

Oh, and daisychain, how long have you been smoking?

11. LostSpirit

LostSpirit Well-Known Member

i gave up about a year ago,,, i was smoking 35 roughly aday, coughin my guts up every morning was enough to get me to quit, i wont lie it was hard.. and it seemed for a while i replaced it with food. so instead of smoking i would eat more.. fact is if you really want to quit then you will.. if in your mind you dont really want to, then you wont

12. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

How's your quitting smoking program going Lynn? :smile:

13. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

The Allen Carr book is excellent I gave up for a long time after that but then somebody handed me a spliff................Oh well............In my experience it works once but really well, I reckon you'll be tempted to give it to another smoker when you're finished with it, don't, keep it on your bookshelf for when your'e tempted. I've tried patches (itchy), nasal spray (awful...atchoo..burns........eyes watering..atchoo), nicotine tablets to chew (guuugh) and champix (nausea and made me feel emotionally wiggy) so I stopped 'em pronto.

14. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

..... yeah i'm a douchebag

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2008
  15. Petal

:laugh: I failed. The more I try to quit, the more I smoke.

I am going to try again for the new year with the help of my doctor :)

16. cinZamurai

cinZamurai Well-Known Member

I quit smoking but when I am on a party the nikotin gremmlins are having a PaRtYY :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.