TV has gone too far **HIGHLY TRIGGERING**

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Kaos General, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

BBC2 has gone way too far. They just shown an assisted suicide live on TV. I didnt wanna see that. They didnt need to show it. I am just freaked out by what i just seen. That was just so very very very wrong

2. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

are they even allowed to do that? i remember seeing something like that a while ago about a guy with a chronic nervous system illness getting assissted suicide in swizterland. but it obviously wasnt just about suicide, it was about his life and why he was doing it etc.

3. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I personally found it a profoundly moving and thought provoking documentary, and the sort the Beeb should be doing more of...

4. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

im gonna watch it now and decide myself, bbc iplayer anyone?

5. Kaos General

I cant fault the documentary because i knew what he was trying to achieve. But what they showed in the last 10 minutes was not needed. I didnt want to see that.

6. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I can imagine.. :( sounds soul shaking
    Regardless, you alright?
    (not trying to be hyper sensitive, just hoping it's not making u feel too off

7. Kaos General

not really, it just brought back some shit that needed to stay buried deep in my head

8. me myself and i

Stay strong dude.

9. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I guess I can understand the point of most of the documentary, but some things just shouldn't be shown on TV.

Sorry that brought up some stuff you didn't want to think about. Hope you're OK, you know where I'm at if you wanna talk about anything.

10. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Aye, stay strong. You've dealt with the past before, and you can do it again. Maybe try and distract yourself, or idk, talk about it with someone you can trust.

:smile:

11. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

:hugtackles:
    can't see it here but can imagine how it impacted you

12. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

surely you could see it coming and just turn off the tv the minute you knew they were headed in that direction (even if you didn't catch it at minute ten, you knew at minute nine what was going on)

13. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

omg that is just wrong, I'm glad I don't have that channel and I didn't see it...I'm not going to try and see it either...somethings like that should be private...

14. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

I saw a documentary about it online in the fall. It was fairly old at least a few years old about a company called Dignatas out of Switzerland. It's only for people who are terminally ill.

This one lady's husband out of Vancouver had some terminal heart condition and he wanted to do it however his wife didn't want to life without him but she was denied. As she didn't have any physical ailment that was terminal.

There was even a bit of info about assisted suicide on the news when Dr. K died.

15. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

i dont know about the last bit....Dignatas said they had assissted in over 100 suicides related to a 'weariness of life'(ie depression/loss of enjoyment).

keeping that in mind, it wasn't someone that had been unhappy for 3 days. the people obviously had chronic mental health problems. Dignatas are more hesitant now to grant assisted suicide on the grounds of weariness of life etc(the doctor signs it off, so it isnt some random person working for a private company)

16. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

Okay I didn't know that but yeah they wouldn't grant this lady suicide with her husband she didn't have serious mental issues or anything. She just didn't want to live without her husband they had some kids but they were well grown. I think they were of European descent as well aka they had accents.

Switzerland is the only place it's approved for foreigner's. Oregon state has it but only for locals.

On the documentary the other story they followed was this guy and his wife I forget what disease he had but he was wheelchair bound and later on he would lose all movement for some it who got to that point it wasn't painful or whatever but still why would u want to risk it.

They showed him actually drinking the drink and going to sleep within an hour or so. The nurse that was with him was like you're going to die if you drink this and they video taped it and all to make sure it was legit. There were two different drinks he had to drink.

17. Broken Spirit

Broken Spirit Well-Known Member

I'm sorry this programme upset you but I agree with In Limbo.

I made up my mind to watch this programme. If I felt it had not been suitable I would have turned it off. We all have this choice and if some thought the programme had gone too far those watching should have turned it off.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011
  18. me myself and i

I watched it too, as i posted above............... i was so interested when you and Chris had totally differing opinions.
    I am sorry it upset you too Wayne, but i thought it was a wonderful programme.

19. Kaos General

Ok im gonna clarify myself once and for all. I didnt know what it was about to start with and then i seen it had terry pratchett in it and new vaguely what it was gonna entail. Im sorry i havent got a fucking crystal ball and i didnt know what was coming and i didnt know they was gonna show someone dying. I thought that kind of shit was banned but i was wrong. The documentary was good but their was no need for that last 10 minutes. It got everyone talking which was the entire point i guess.

20. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

If you hadn't seen the ads for it and didn't know what was coming (or that they would actually show something so graphic on TV), you'd have no way of knowing that it was time to turn it off. We don't always know what's coming until it's too late. But that particular discussion is off topic, and isn't the point of the OP's thread at all.