Types of treatment for non-acute problems?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by alison, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on different treatment options for non-acute problems?

Brief summary of my issues: I've been diagnosed with social phobia, panic disorder (without agoraphobia), anxiety-NOS, generalized anxiety disorder, recurrent major depressive disorder, bulimia nervosa (mostly recovered from, now I'm officially ED-NOS). I don't know if I can have all of these at the same time, but they've been what I've been diagnosed with over the years. This past spring I was actively suicidal and self injurying frequently, and was in a hospital for a few weeks.

Okay, so now I'm not suicidal and am not in crisis. However, I still have a lot of issues, mostly anxiety related. I rarely leave the house. I am unable to answer a telephone. I'm on psych leave from grad school, and I go into panic whenever my parents bring it up. I can't apply for a job because I'm too afraid to talk to people. I am still *able* to leave the house, but it is getting increasingly stressful to even run small errands. My mood isn't low or depressed - its mostly just apathetic. I spend the majority of my day in my bedroom solving sudoku puzzles.

I do see my therapist once a week, which is once a week that I am still able to leave my house. My dad accompanied me this past week, and although it was scary, he was basically saying what I was thinking too. He can tell that my anxiety problems are getting worse not better, and he's at a loss as to what to do. I am incredibly lucky, my dad is really supportive of me even though I'm old and he has every right to kick me out of the house.

My therapist didn't really have any suggestions, although she said she would look into it. Other than weekly therapy, does anyone have any information about more intensive anxiety treatment? I'm not suicidal at all right now - so its not like I need to be in a facility where I'm on constant suicide-watch. But something needs to change, and I'm not really sure what else to do.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

If your therapist is not helping you with the anxiety maybe try a different therapist a different approach maybe newer medication that treats anxiety would help i am glad you dad is so supportive as well There is treatment for this type of disorder so if this therapist is not helping try one that just deals with anxiety issues take care:hugtackles:
  3. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

I took an anxiety corse last year and they had a work book called "The Anxiety & Phobia workbook" that was taught but this local anxiety association. It was like a 6 to 8 week corse where one day a week you went to a group and gave you readings and had discussions about what you read and do exercises and stuff. It gives you a lot of knowledge about how to deal with anxiety. Might be a good place to look and see if you have an anxiety association group or something similar in your area and see if they offer courses like that. You could also just get the book your self and give it a try, maybe show it to your therapist? I didnt get much out of the course as i didnt out the effort into it that i should have but it still helped me a lot. Anyways I would look for an anxiety association near you and maybe take a look at some book on the subject.
  4. down-and-maybeout

down-and-maybeout Well-Known Member

Well I'm suspected BPD, and I suffer from Social Phobia, and I've pretty much been told there is no 'treatment' as such - all they can do is teach me how to be more content with what I have.
  5. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

beyond what has been mentioned already, I would recommend meditation. This helped me a lot. Also keeping stress down. Daily gentle exercise, but just barely sweating. Sweating a lot made my anxiety worse.

Eating mostly fresh cooked whole foods served warm, avoiding cold, raw and processed foods is good.

I recommend the book below in my signature.

Acupuncture and chinese herbal medicine can be helpful. This can be expensive though.

If you are in RI, you might want to check out the New England Schoool of Acupuncture clinic in MA. www.nesa.edu

They have pretty good cheapo acupuncture.
    If you do herbs, pdoc should know about it.
    Don't get herbs that have been processed with preservatives, this made my anxiety get much worse!
  6. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

7. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses everyone :) I'll definitely look into those suggestions. We're sort of trying exposure therapy with my therapist right now, which probably would be effective, but I'm having so much trouble getting the motivation to do my best. Exposure therapy is really hard and scary.. I'm not sure how to make myself want to do it more.

Johnnyc - yea, I've done DBT! I've actually done two DBT groups, one a few years ago, and another at the hospital I went to. I really like DBT and I definitely think its an effective treatment. I'm glad you were able to get something out of it too, although I'm sorry your therapist was a bitch! DBT helped me find ways to not self injure or throw up, but I'm still left with isolation and avoidance behaviors. Which is definitely a much better place to be in terms of at least physical health. But I'm still not functional lol/sigh.
  8. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I also suffer from agoriphobia, social phobia, and paranoia on top of everything else.. I live in my bedroom 24/7..Been in therapy for five years, (gave up on that)..I have given into my self isolation.. I only feel safe here..
  9. LogDork

LogDork Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

hear that
    I've done fairly well constructing a world of my own here
    I need to go to the pharmacy, but I'm too wigged out for even that venture.
    The need for smokes is coming up, luckily there is a small country store only 7 miles away.
    I really avoid ANY kind of medical setting, the pharmacy, or Dr's office included.
  10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Exercise can be helpful for a lot of your concerns, relieving some anxiety and some depression, and the knowledge of burning calories might possibly help with ED? That last one is just supposition, I've no real idea whether it'd be helpful.

I'm not sure just how capable you are of leaving your house, but running in your neighbourhood would give you fresh air and some slight social contact (just encountering people, not even talking to them) and possibly jar you out of your rut.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.