Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Mama_Pills, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mama_Pills

Mama_Pills Well-Known Member

Why does trying to explain things to friends only make things worse?
  2. ASolitaryBlue

ASolitaryBlue Well-Known Member

bc most people have never had depression and cant possibly understand what youre going through.

that, and society has placed such a stigma on depression that people dont want to deal with those that are depressed.

it sucks, i know :hug:
  3. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I don't know LLM.....I have that trouble with my immediate family too...they tell me not to be so negative.:yikes: :cry:
  4. Mama_Pills

Mama_Pills Well-Known Member

I really wish I could talk to someone just for the sake of talking to someone again.

All my friends have abandoned me because of this. I don't feel like I'm playing the victim but they keep telling me I am. I don't feel like I've treated them poorly because I feel betrayed.
  5. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

don't want to sound like i know anything because i don't, but maybe you have a problem in explaining things? I have this problem all the time. my explanation always gets taken to the opposite end of the gamut
  6. Memorical

Memorical Member

I second what ASolitaryBlue said.

"Just try not to think so negative."
    "Just stop being so self conscious."
    "Stop thinking so much. Just let yourself go."

I have tried so many times reforming how I explaining to my parents. I have broken down in front of them, I have cried, I have told them quietly, in the car, at dinner, in the evening when they're not really doing anything. Unfortunately, sometimes explanation-technique doesn't do a thing. It only makes you feel worse for trying and failing.

And yeah, friends most of the time won't be able to do what you want them to do to comfort you, unless you tell them. And if they're not people you can tell what to do, then it's even worse. I only have one friend who I'm completely satisfied with telling my problems - and the only time I'll be slightly upset is because she currently too preoccupied with something essential to really listen/take care of me. She'll just hug me and spend time with me, and then ask me "Is there anything I can help you with?", to which most of the time I say there isn't, but in all honesty, that's got to be the best sort of help you can get.

I'd offer to be a friend, someone who'd listen to you and talk to you and help you have fun with a friend again. But unfortunately, I think that'd be aa bit difficult. :( *huggles again*
  7. spiritxfade

spiritxfade Well-Known Member

Like IV2010 said, I have a similar situation to yours, just with my immediate family, mostly. It's not encouraging when people you trust just don't understand. I also know how good it feels when someone finally does understand.

If you'd like, you're welcome to talk to me. I promise I'll try to understand. :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.