uh oh.. *explicit. may trigger*

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by lostbutnotfound, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostbutnotfound

lostbutnotfound Well-Known Member

When I self harm, I usually cut. They are generally deep, so I know how to deal with them. While at home, I usually use a <edit moderator total eclipse method>to cut myself, and can (some of the time) stay in control of myself, how much I cut etc. Although I tend to go deeper than appropriate, I feel I usually have a good grip on my self harm.

Since I've been away, I do not have the tools in which I usually use when I self harm. I tried refraining, and if I felt the need to, I made sure it wasn't overly bad. However, 4 days ago I totally lost control, and without my trusty knife, I had to use a <edit moderator total eclipse method>. I went a bit crazy, and have a few deep cuts. I'm not concerned about them. The thing I'm most concerned about is that when I was cutting, without realizing I also somehow managed to remove quite a few layers of skin over a wide area of my thigh (Edit moderator total eclipse to descriptive> I don't know how to look after it. I can't get it checked out until Fri at earliest, though I don't think it needs checking out. I put some A+D ointment on it, paper towels, and tape, as we didn't have anything else in. It weeped and bled continuously, and still is doing so.. a LOT. On Fri I got some gauze, applied the ointment and taped it up, but the gauze made it worse, it gushed blood when I changed the dressing a few hours later. I went back to using paper towels, which while still isn't good, doesn't make it gush as much as the gauze. I tried the gauze again last night, and have been putting the ointment on every time I change the dressing, but it's still bleeding and weeping heavily. It's also just above the knee, so everytime I get up, I limp for a couple minutes until I can walk semi properly, and the movement is probably a big contributor to the fact it's still leaking a lot. I bought some surgical pads today, and am unsure of whether to try putting that on it.

I know this is a bit confusing, but I'm at my wits end of how I can stop the blood and weeping. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
  2. AlopexAngel

AlopexAngel Chat Buddy

I really wish we could meet up so I could take a look and try to think of specific ways to help. I had so fairly wide cuts before and found while gauzze can tear open a cut it's the most sterile. Try moistening it with hydrogen perioxide or water beofre removing. Since it's still weeping I would cover it with guaze or surgurical supplies and wrap that with an ace bandage to keep pressure on it. Hope this helps hun.
  3. TheOncomingStorm

TheOncomingStorm Well-Known Member

you could try steri strips to close the wound together, and then a bandage over the top of that to keep pressure applied. Because of where it is, im suggesting you try and rest to stop the wound from opening up. :hug:
  4. lostbutnotfound

lostbutnotfound Well-Known Member

Thanks guys

I put a surgical pad on it last night, and wrapped a bandage around it. Someone else I was speaking to last night said I should leave it on for a couple days, to allow a top film to form which should help it start healing. I can't use steri strips, as the area is too wide, it wouldn't work. I could put them on the smaller, deep cuts I guess.. blehh I don't know. Also, resting it is not too possible at the moment, as I'm going back to UK tomorrow so shall be on my feet quite a bit next couple days. When I'm back, I'll be sure to rest up though, as it's really bloody painful!

Thanks again
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.