Uh oh

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by 389, May 12, 2007.

1. 389

389 New Member

This forum -
    I just found it today, and it's very discouraging. 99-100% of people here are just assembling cliches as posts and living their lives as cliches - both people considering suicide and people helping them. People have weird natural social tendencies, so I'm not saying they're bad people, or that they aren't depressed, just that I don't think everything they're saying is entirely genuine. Like half the people feel like playing the part of a suicidal person, and half the people mix & match from a list of feel-good phrases. I know the phrases are used with good intention, but even if you bring someone's personal experience into it, there's less than no guarantee that the feel-good phrases are true. So if this forum is an indication of what suicide help places are like, I'm pissed.
    I'm having suicidal feelings, and it's nothing like all this. Everything is so cheesy and corny here.

Please respond.
  2. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I"m sorry you don't find this site and its members to be useful. I've had just the opposite experience. I guess not everyone is suited to this site. We try our best and I believe that the members here are genuine in their replies. Maybe that's not enough, to quote 'cliches' and use smilies, but on the internet it's the best we can do.

3. 389

389 New Member

Not that I think anybody's lying. Or that anybody's being lazy and not trying hard enough. I'm just kind of confused, comparing things to my own experience, how somebody could feel suicidal and they're explanation looks like a bunch of cheesy script lines strung together.
  4. Raven

Raven Guest

A lot of what is said here can be considered “corny”. I know I have been guilty of saying such things in the past, it because sometimes the correct words and phrase’s are hard to come by without truly knowing the person behind the post so you end up trying the best way that you can to say what you think will help. For the most part I find most of the people here genuine in what they say.