UK and Suicide Connection

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Dave_N, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I've noticed that a large number of suicidal people on this forum are from the United Kingdom. It also seems like a disproportionately large number due to the total number of people who come here. Could there be something in the UK that is contributing to depression/suicidal thoughts? Are people from the UK just more prone to depression? Am I just being paranoid?

2. New-Hope

New-Hope Well-Known Member

I've noticed too. You're not being paranoid :biggrin:
    I think the UK's a generally stressful place to live in... crowded, houses, buildings and cars are taking over... plus all the rain doesn't help either!

3. Carcinogen

Carcinogen Well-Known Member

Maybe it's something like Finland...they have the highest suicide rate in the world. Apparently it's due to their lack of sunlight or something. Maybe it's the same here...?

4. kitai16

kitai16 Well-Known Member

All the happy UKers should move out of the country. Then they can bomb the rest of us who wanna dies anyways. Problem solved. J/K.:tongue:

5. Only1?

Only1? Active Member

Its funny you should say that but I was thinking the same about the states, and how it might have more to do with the access you have to guns etc. But I suppose you notice more when people are not from your neck of the woods.

6. LILICHIPIE

LILICHIPIE Well-Known Member

hehe
    not to upset anyone from uk, maybe that has to do with the weather and rarely ever getting sun lol
    no im talking shit, im from France and im part of a big "family" here too lol

but anyhow, Sweden has the highest suicide rate for 50 years now. and as you know, they barely get sun after 3pm..

7. New-Hope

New-Hope Well-Known Member

It didn't upset me at all... We haven't had sunshine in my part of the UK for at least 3 weeks now... just rain.
    It's surprising how the weather affects people's moods. I feel totally different waking up to a sunny day instead of rain.
    Sunshine really does make you feel better. Rain makes me depressed every time I see it...

8. Daze&Confused

Daze&Confused Antiquitie's Friend

Maybe i've lived here too long,but i love the weather here. It's true we dont have the sunniest days here,but we have seasons. I'd hate it to be sunny all the time, i look forward to the winter because there are less people out when i'm out. But maybe that's because i'm an anti-social sod.:biggrin:

9. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I guess it must be the lack of sunshine that you guys have to deal with that could be contributing to the depression in the UK. In Canada, we get the 'winter blahs' because we don't get much sunshine over the winter, and many people get more withdrawn or depressed during the winter. But we get more sun once the winter is over.

10. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I don't think we can use this forum as a "statistical base", there are many factors effecting it. The fact that SF is based in the UK, it was started in the UK and that probably effects the search engines and whatnot (I'm far from a techy) then there's access to the net and cultural differences etc. If I remember rightly official stats haven't shown the UK as being top for suicides/depression. I tried to find some stats on the net but no such luck.

11. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's something in the air? Pollution? :blink: :biggrin:

12. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

Exactly! Many contributing factors as to why or how member came to being here. :smile:

13. Snooze

Snooze Well-Known Member

yeah Finland is VERY suicidal too.

its VERY dark and cold half a year here. I guess that has some kind of influence.

14. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I've noticed that we are a very depressed nation too. For me it's not the weather at all, but I can understand it being that way for others. Personally I'm happier when it's cold and wintery because there's not so many people about and I feel at peace more. I'm always depressed in the summer and I'm dreading this impending summer.

I think there's a lot of other factors involved with us being so depressed. Money might be a factor as we're a very expensive nation. Costs are always rising on homes, groceries and vehicles. But we're also very pampered too with free health care and easy access to welfare and benefits, people can be spoiled and ultimately those are the ones that are never happy.

We Brits can also be very cruel with our words also, very acid tongued. I hate that, I know that one of the main reasons why I'm so depressed is that there are just so many mean, vicious and poisonous people around and when you finally snap and lash out back at them, they act as if you're a complete psycho and they're the innocent victim. That's just around my area though, I don't know if everywhere in England's like that.

15. Nocturnal Ponderer

Nocturnal Ponderer Well-Known Member

Shogun, you've got it all wrong mate. The worst thing to do is snap back at them. There are some wicked ways to get back at them, but snapping is not one of them.

(Am I the only one to get the blues in the summer? I get happy in cold dark climates)

I think it may have something to do with being a very expensive and densely populated country. There are over 60 million. There are more people within the M25 (London, basically) than there are in the whole of Scotland.

It seems funny that there are vast areas of barren land, yet there are 13 million people in the metropolitan area of London, and just 5 million in Scotland.

There are some terribly deprived areas too, still with high unemployment.

Oh, and Liverpool, but the unemployment there is widely voluntary.

16. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

I could get fried for this one. first, i should mention that i have family in the UK. We are not close, but that's where i'm from. mentioned this in another post; we've got a green, a road and other cobwebs in our name. My family there is quite religious-Catholics. it's a small town near scotland.
    Recently, i asked a fairly intelligent friend his thoughts on why the UK has such a high suicide rate in proportion to its population. He is Episcopalian; I'm not particularly religious, but do believe in 'a higher power'.
    His answer-"The popular culture there has pursued secularity". i.e.-loss of religion or faith. Can't offer much more as I DON'T KNOW. Just thought I'd throw it out as something to chew on.
    i should add-religion hasn't been much of a comfort to me, but it has been to my family which like any family has experienced it's fair share of tragedy.
    We supposedly have a curse placed upon us. Family legends:laugh:

:hiding:

and, no i'm no missionary from the anti suicide squad.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2008
  17. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Well, I'm in the US and I found this place. But I was looking for a suicide forum, specifically when I found it.

I don't think it's so much that there aren't as many suicidal Americans. Rather, Americans aren't as communicative when they're depressed. The English are very social people from my observations. Brits tend to want to communicate even when they're very depressed.

It may also have something to do with who Brits tend to communicate with. It may be that Brits don't feel comfortable confiding in friends or loved ones with depression. So maybe more Brits turn to strangers online for support than people in some other countries.

18. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

maybe us brits are more closed mouthed about our problems, wanting to deal with them on our own instead of talking, i know i used to be like that.

each to their own over the weather, i love the sun but theres something peacefull about walking in the countryside when its pissing down lol.

19. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  20. SweetVitriol

SweetVitriol Antiquitie's Friend

I think there are a lot of reasons for people in the UK feeling so low..Many of them have been mentioned in previous posts but as a Englishman (Born & raised) I think we have a history of being solitary people...We do crave our privacy, rarely articulate our pain (Although this has changed as we adopt more of the american culture into our own) and have a natural ability to try and be resilient to whatever life throws at us (Stiff upper lip and all that tosh)

I think that this leads to us keeping a lot of our feelings buried deep inside hence the prepensity towards suicide or even living in silent pain...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.