UK motorways collecting data on their mobiles and satnavs

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by justMe7, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Sigh, I don't know anymore.. So many small issues to deal with. Tack another one sliding in.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Rofl how an earth is that going to reduce traffic jams?

3. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Don't you know?? They are trying to keep you off the roadways, Lexi! ;)

4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I dunno, does sound kind of weird. As a stretch, maybe GPS can be combined with software to identify where a jam is about to occur by calculating when and where vehicles are slowing or stopping. Then the traffic reporters could do pre-jam "use another route" radio or phone traffic advisories. Most reports now are from when the traffic has already slowed significantly or stopped and caused a big jam.

Also, if traffic analysts/road planners know where the jams usually occur, they can do things to moderate the traffic flow there - might not be immediate things, but things like add more lanes, use a stop and go light to let traffic join the flow, cut off access from certain points at peak times.

Technology allows us to be "monitored" in so many ways now. I don't have a problem with the concept as long as it's anonymous.

EDIT: I just saw lightbeam's post. I hadn't thought of that. Lexi it's just for you, hun! :D

5. Butterfly

Well erm, we have "jam cams" and various surveillance already on the roads to see when a jam is occurring so this is stupid!

Its not me who needs to be kept off the roads, it's those darned people who don't fricken look where they are going or in the wrong lane and cut across trying to kill me in the process! :p

6. Butterfly

Just thought what about if everyone in a car did a flash mob on the m1. Now that would be amusing!

7. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Well.. it depends on the level of detail they gather the data. In general if it's for a company for example, Company X registers vehicle Y and mobile Z. If the mobile passes through a mast checkpoint it records that location and time, then when it passes through the next mast, it records that location and time. Which can be used to calculate the average speed/time it takes for that individual to travel at that particular time of day/week/year. If the company truly registers their cell phones number on a universal company registry, the number can then be used to statically store driving routes for a particular company, and if there is a connection between the registered cell phone and the make/model of the vehicle, they associate that average speed to specs of the vehicle.
    I think sat navs distribute more data however so they might be able to highlight hot spots for speeding at particular times of the day. Or if it is used in a more realtime fashion, it could be used to highlight drivers who are driving excessively slow/fast in a region. I think longterm it could be used to help see the % of drivers that are commerical/personal, to the frequency of when a particular company frequents a region or is more active at a particular time of year. Or active routes of commerical drivers to show the hot routes to help in the development of alternative routes that would be benifical in the long run by seperating conjestion spots. idk, I've not really thought about it, but I know the more information you have about the activity of the people who frequent a facility/infrastructure, the more you can re-design it to suit their unique needs.

In anycase nothing is anonymous so.. but that's a different argument. In a perfect world if things were protected and were kept anonymous,... well I still don't like it. Especially since people are unaware that it's even happening.
    The funny thing about anonymous data is, that it becomes defined as generic. Generic data is then openly distributed to businesses/organizations that have association to the primary gatherer.

The main problem is if you don't have a disciplined society that understands and respects your privacy and utilizes the data 100% for what purpose that conceived gathering it, you produce situations where personal information becomes openly available to anyone. Which leads to decay of personal privacy because the presence of a social issue stands dominate to the rights of the individual. They're sort of emphasising this strongly. If you own a piece of technology, especially a digital device, you are more than likely submitting statistical data for one reason or another. We don't have to announce it, we don't have to wait for public opinion to accept it, we will proceed to utilize this technology for the betterment of a situation.

In other words, it's an indrect way of saying until privacy and personal digital space is properly protected, respected and enforced by the governments, it's a good idea to learn how to protect your devices beyond the factory defaults. Especially because if you have a government body that doesn't respect your privacy, there will be companies that will take it to the next level. And then there will always be individuals who will take it 10x deeper and more intrustive.

8. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I thought it was going to be serious but saw its the dailyfail... time for them to sensationalise everything.

Sadly everything is tracked, mobile data, where you travel... heck don;t you think they could track your travel through your refueling, theres security cams there... you put your card details in there.

Government already has the ability to so called spy on your bank accounts.

(How do I know... they spied mine)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.