UK people, pls tell me if I'm at risk of getting sectioned

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Madison_Rose, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madison_Rose

Madison_Rose Active Member

Hello, Forum. Thanks for existing.

After many years of off and on depression, I've finally decided to go to my GP, ask for help, and take anti-depressants if they are offered. What I want to know is this: if I'm totally honest with my GP, if I tell her that I've felt suicidal for a long time, I have both a clear plan and the things I need to kill myself, is there a risk that she will section me, have me locked up and treated against my will? Because the thought terrifies me and I'm not prepared to let it happen.

Would it be better to downplay my depression, be truthful about everything except suicide, and tell a lie like "well, I think about it, but I'd never do it?"

Oh, and I'm in Scotland, if that's relavent.

2. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

hi there ..
    i asked almost the same question a few months ago ..
    i dont know if this will help but this is my old thread about it ..
    http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?t=65025

i think just be honest about it ALL.. i did and i wasnt sectioned .. but given antidepressants and offered therapy .. and regular contact with my doctor ..
    all the best :hug: x

3. Madison_Rose

Thanks mandyj, that's helpful.

4. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Hi, you don't get sectioned in Scotland as they have a different piece of mental health legislation. I think they are called Compulsory Treatment Orders.

If you GP is concerend greatley that you are at risk to yourself or others he will arrange for you to go to hospital as a voluntary patient, if you resist he can apply for you to be detained to a psychaiatric ward or other place of safety.

I know out of experience that patients admitted because they feel suicidal rarely stay longer than 7 days. Psychiatric wards are nothing to be afraid off, they are pretty much boring and you are left to your own business.

I get admitted at least once a year, normally for 28 days as I sometimes relapse on my medication.

Don't worry :smile:

5. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

Hello dear,

Good luck with it all and I am so glad you've finally decided to get help. I doubt you'll get sectioned; you are seeking help by going to see the GP so there is no reason why they should force help on you. Just make sure you tell them you really want to get better and stop feeling the way you do. Let us know how it goes!

Rose

6. Madison_Rose

Thanks for the info. I think what scares me is the thought of getting given drugs against my will, the idea that you can't say no, can't refuse treatment. To me, that just sounds like mind-rape.

Also, thanks to Rose24.

7. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I was sectioned against my will once (that possible in Sweden, a court decides it when needed). Not just for my depression though, it was for my anorexia too (my physical health was bad, I was peeing blood) I got sertraline and sleeping pills against my will too.
    But that wasn't so bad after all... Well, it was "mind-rape" at that point but it was necessary. I would have died if I was left untreated.

I can relate to you, so I know that it's not a good idea trying to leave the depression behind. If you are so depressed that you have suicidal thoughts, then you should go to your GP and ask for help.

But remember that a possible sectioning is for your own best- if they say that you need it, then you probably need it. I'm sorry, but that's the bottom line.
    At this stage that you are on, it won't be easy- if possible at all- to get rid of the depression and the suicidality on your own without any professional help. You have a very real, but treatable illness.

8. Little_me

I really wish you the best Madison_Rose. Hope you will be safe :hug:

9. Madison_Rose

Thanks, Little me.

10. Madison_Rose

It's tomorrow! it's Tomorrow! Well, it's on 10 hours from now! Aargh aargh! Doom!

*ahem* I still don't know how I feel (except from terrified) and how I'll cope if she doesn't help me. I've written down what I wan tto say in my best handwriting, so if I freeze up or start crying I can just hand over my notes. Althogough the thought of doing that is excruciatingly embarrasing, I'll feel like such a pillock...

11. Madison_Rose

It went well. My doctor was kind and helpful. She prescribed me 10mgs of citalopram. I think the low starting dose is a nod to my fears about drugs making me worse - I think she will up the dose to 20mgs when I see her in two weeks, depending on how I get on.

A (much) longer account of the appointment and the run up to it can be found on my personal blog.

12. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

i was on citalopram 20mg. it helped but i started to develop tolerance. it'll help though. :)

13. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

This isn't true... the Mental Health Act applies in Scotland as I have been sectioned under it here. Compulsory treatment orders are something very different and apply in England too!

Anyway, I'm glad that your appointment went ok and that your gp was helpful.

14. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

15. Little_me

My mother has good experiences of citalopram. Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.