UK TV Advert

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Rockster, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockster

Rockster Guest

Well i didn't know where else to put this but there has been a new TV advert in the UK that puts across an interesting point. The imagery is based in a hospitals' ER and the overlay voice is saying something along the lines of: "You are working in a busy ER and you are two team member's down, you have the chance to employ a new team member but they have a mental health issue which include spouts of servere depression. Would you hire them? No? Well you have just turned down Florence Nightingale... Just because they have mental health issues, don't write them off so easily"

Basically i think this is a good step forward for those with problems... Comments/questions?

2. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the advert but I will keep an eye out for it. I think it's definitely positive though as there is still a lot of stigma around mental health issues.

The Disability Discrimination Act makes it illegal for employers to discriminate against people with mental health problems but this isn't a widely known fact & a lot of people just assume that because they are depressed they won't be able to work in areas like health care. A few years back in Scotland they started a campaign called 'See Me', it was adverts & posters advertising mental health & how people should see the person & not the label e.g. 'the depressive nurse'. It has been well received & still runs today, I'm not sure if it was shown on UK tv or whether it was just Scotland.

Personally I think people with 1st hand experience of problems often make better care givers, as they have a better understanding especially when you realise how poor some emergency departments treat people who are suffering from mental health problems.

3. Rockster

Rockster Guest

it was the first time i seen it moments before i posted it :tongue:

4. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Thats been out awhile :tongue: i've seen it a few times, deffiantly a step foward!

5. Rockster

Rockster Guest

don't you feel proud lol, havent watched much tv. Im glad it is around

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Yep,definitely a step forward :)

7. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I'e not seen that advert around but i'll keep an eye out for it. It's definately a huge step forward, bringing to the forefront that ppl with mental health disorders deserve a fair chance at a normal life and job too.

8. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I haven't seen it but it's definitely a step forward. Personally speaking I have been wanting to join the NHS for a long time now and fear of the comeback because of my depression etc if I talk is what's been getting to me for a while. I haven't seen the advert though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.