1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK - Where do I go for help?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Lennie, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lennie

    Lennie Well-Known Member


    I'm just wondering, where would I go to start the ball rolling on getting better? I'm pretty sure that I have some kind of depression, and I think it's about time I did something about it. Where do I need to go to get diagnosed and get the help I need - I was thinking my GP but I've heard some stuff about counselor's so wasn't sure.

    I've never really talked to anyone about my 'problems' before, mainly because I just can't open up, so that's going to be hard enough. But I'd like to know where I need to go once I do build up some kind of courage to go and tell someone.

  2. bunny

    bunny Staff Alumni

    in the UK you generally start with a GP who can refer you on to other places, counselling being one so mention if youre interested in that idea.
  3. Ignored

    Ignored Staff Alumni

    It depends whether you're rich enough to afford private counselling or not. Generally though, it's probably best to go to your gp as a first port of call. The only problem is counselling and psychotherapy provision is a bit hit and miss across the country, and so the first thing they might try and do is put you on meds while you wait.
  4. Blackness

    Blackness Guest

    go to your GP first.
    For me I first went to a school counsellor, then got reffered to a GP, then got reffered to a psychiatrict clinic. :)
    So bottom line is, no matter who you go to first, they will point you in the right direction!
    and good on you for taking the step.

    NOTE: dont talk about suicide methods! bad idea, they'll do evil shit if you say that!
  5. Rose24

    Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

    hello there,

    I dont know how old you are, but if you are under 18, the local connexions center may be able to help, they usally deal with education related things and give careers advice but can point you in the right direction to finding a counsellor.

    http://www.connexions-direct.com/index.cfm?pid=109&catalogueContentID=340 i though that you might find this link helpful.

    organisations such as Beat also help you find therapy in your area, though they usually only deal with ED's I'm sure that they wont mind helping you find a free counselling center in your area, if you want their helpline number feel free to pm me.

    please excuse my inability to type or spell.

    take care

    Rose :)
  6. lulu rose

    lulu rose Guest

    I'd start with your GP. I know it's scary, I really do. I live in south wales too. In the rhondda valleys about 22 miles outside of cardiff.

    How old are you? depending on your age the doctors will deal with you differently. Dont let them tell you it's just a phase!, dont let them brush you off!. Write everything down. Write down roughtly how long you've been feeling like this. Write down anything you think may have triggered it. write down how you feel every day. If anything changes write it down. Even write down what you're scared off, what you like and dislike. Write it all down. And if you feel scared to open up to the doctor, let him read it all. Doctors should be used to that.

    I hope you'll be ok.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.