um, hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new, so yeah....

I'm certain I have Bipolar disorder among other things like OCD and anxiety Disorder but only have a (false) diagnosis for major depression.

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
try get a second opinion okay ask your doct to assign anther pdoc to get another assessment done if you feel the diagnosis yu have is wrong. I too am trying to get another diagnosis done for mydaughter

try get a second opinion okay ask your doct to assign anther pdoc to get another assessment done if you feel the diagnosis yu have is wrong. I too am trying to get another diagnosis done for mydaughter
my diagnosis came from a minute long 'assesment' while i was hospitalized where the doctor asked basic questions like how many times i've tried to kill myself and if i have any family history of mental illness. he then told me I "have a genetic predisposition to depression" and sent me out. It was hardly an analysis at all, i think. I didn't even have a chance to tell them about my actual symptoms.

You're right, i need to go to a doctor and get a proper assessment. The problem is i have severe anxiety and procrastinate alot as well(i've rarely showed up for a follow up for one reasn or another). I have a feeling my county insurance won't cover a psychiatrist or similar doctor so i'm afraid.

Hi there!

You should definitely go see a proper psychiatrist who will give you more than a minute of their time. Most (though not all) insurances have at least basic mental health coverage. If you’re worried about not being covered, call the number on the back of your insurance card. They’ll be able to tell you what is covered and even give you a list of doctors that accept your insurance. If your insurance doesn’t cover it, try looking in the phone book and calling a few psychiatrists’ offices. A lot of them will work on a sliding scale for people who can’t afford it, and you can end up paying as little as $15 per visit.

I always had a lot of anxiety about going to the doctor too. It took me a long time to get up the courage to go see a psychiatrist, and I’m so glad I did. One thing though—once you get a diagnosis, it can be hard to shake. Make sure you’re vocal about your needs. It’s best if you go prepared. Take a list of your symptoms with you and calmly explain why you think your current diagnosis is wrong. If you feel like you’re not being heard, ask the doctor to recommend a colleague for you to see. It happens all the time, and you won’t hurt their feelings.

Anyway, I hope this helped a little. If you have any questions or if you want some help navigating the road to a new diagnosis, feel free to message to me.

Lee

Thanks, i know it's good advice. I don't even have 15$ though unfortunately. Or the motivation right now. I can't believe they would give any kind of diagnosis in the way that they did. It's so unprofessional and incompotent, and they only care about making money there, not about the patients at all. it was the first time i was hospitalized in a psych ward, and it was awful. I guess it was partly my fault though for not telling them every single symptom. In fact i didn't tell them about ANY kind of symptom. They just think i freaked out about a break up, which actually happened a year and a half before i was hospitalized. I used it as an excuse because i didn't know how to explain everything thats wrong with me. I think i was extremely manipulative. I hate social workers.

EDIT: I apologize for the vaguely related rant. I know it's up to me to start seeking help but in my state its so difficult. I constantly think that i am doomed to be a pathetic loser and that nothing is going to change. I guess that's why i'm suicidal most of the time. My life is so damaged its unnacceptable so its just something to be thrown away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00