Umbrella Phrases - "One Size Fits All"

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Flying Fox, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

Title: One-Size-Fits-All Phrase Rant!

Disclaimer: This is only my opinion and I in no way intend to display it as the Absolute Truth because there is no such thing in my eyes. There are many truths, each related to how one perceives the situation from their past experiences. I try hard to understand and not to judge, but if I can offer a counter-argument that will help others to see more than just one side, I will tell them.

PHRASE: You don't die if you fall in water. You only die if you don't swim.

Preamble:So certain forum that I sometimes take a look at posted the above phrase. Now I in no way condemn their point of view, however, in my response I am aggressive because I believe it is rather short-sighted and one-size-fits-all themed. I do not believe that at your lowest point, when push comes to shove, you put a band-aid on and make it all go away. Veterans, victims of rape, survivors of trauma can not wave a wand and make it all disappear - I believe it is insensitive to believe that it can be done as easily as that. With this I shall stop this preamble and post the comments.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHRASE: You don't die if you fall in water. You only die if you don't swim.

Person One Make a pact with yourself today to not be defined by your past. Sometimes the greatest thing to come out of all your hard work isn't what you get for it, but what you become for it. Shake things up today! Be You...Be Free...Share.”
    Person 2:Unless you fall from very high. Then it will most certainly kill you.
    Flying Fox: ^ likes
    Person 3:Thanks tips! Lol!
    Person 4: Shared
    Person 5: I don't swim!!!!
    Flying Fox:^ likes
    Person 5: shares https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA&hc_location=ufi
    Flying Fox: ^likes SEE NOTE
    Flying Fox: But what if, hypothetically, you don't know how to swim or get caught in a rip current? That's like saying, if your hardest isn't enough to get you to a better place than it is your fault. Plus, this is too broad a statement. There are always exceptions. This statement makes me so angry.

NOTE: I agree that the video response itself is harsh and I myself would not have posted it, however this is to be a completely unedited and honest account of my feelings at that time. When I get upset, I get upset and when I am upset, I am very transparent when it comes to showing how I feel about something I consider important. Because of this, more often than not, I often put my foot in my mouth.

2. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

Another thing that is missing is that just the future that defines the person. The past is equally as important and the two together make the whole. The key is is to be able to ACCEPT your past and yourself regardless, even the parts that you do not like. Here they are missing the big picture by including only the present. Living by the present is all very well, but if you know yourself and accept your past, you can grow stronger from it. It is no good sweeping the broken pieces underneath a rug - goodness knows I've tried. Whatever is under the rug will still be there until you come to terms with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.