umm...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by cloud9, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloud9

cloud9 Well-Known Member

Today I went to watch Iron Man 2 with a friend......good movie for anyone who is interested....

On my way back from the movie theatre I dropped my friend home before heading back to my own house. In the car he was joking around with me saying that if I wanted to set up his wedding right now, I should arrange it with Scarlett Johannson. Surprise, surprise lol. I said to him that I thought he was the "only marry a Muslim" type. He reminded me that as Muslims we can marry anyone who falls under the "people of the book" category. Basically Muslims, Jews or Christians. He went on to say how he wasn't sure how he'd react if his son decided to marry a Jew or Christian though. I asked if he'd go ape shit and kill him or something. He said no - thankfully- but went on to say he wouldn't know what's wrong with his kid if he did marry a non-muslim. He explained it would show that his son had very weak faith and disapproved.

I'm not sure why the above exchange bothered me. I guess I'm starting to believe that I won't be interested in marrying a Muslim girl myself. I don't know what aspect bothers me more: know that I have weak faith, or what everyone's reaction would be to me marrying a non-muslim.

I wish there were some flexibility in this matter. I want the freedom to pick and choose who I end up with, without dealing with the consequences from home.

*sigh*.........this seems hopeless :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.