unable to cry

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by aki, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I just can't cry...I feel totally numb. I want to cry and smash things up even; but I can't :sad:

2. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

im so sorry that you feel like this. i hate it as well when i get like it
    wish i had better words for you but just wanted you to know that your not alone :hug:

3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Smash things up then! Wherever you can!
    Watch a sad movie. Hold a teddy bear. Start making the sounds you would make when you're crying.
    Here for you Elizabeth :heart: :hug:

4. aki

aki Well-Known Member

thanks so much for your replies :hug:

5. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I have not cried since Oct 2006, not for the want of trying. Somehow I find crying gets a lot of the negative feelings you may be experiencing.
    Perhaps to get your tears flowing, you could have a chick flick fest and watch sad films for 24 hours non stop.

6. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

Story of my life! I'm trying hard to feel any other emotion except pure apathy. Sometimes i want to smash things up too, at least there are images in my head of me doing that but they never relate to me, i just sit here typing away feeling like stone. I wonder if i'm a time bomb, that some day there will come a point where everything floods out?

I can't say this ever work for me, but maybe you could try and trigger your feelings in some way like the posters before mentioned? I know that you're supposed to think positive thoughts and watch comedy to shift depressed moods, but i think it is just as effectively done by allowing yourself to truly whallow.

I hate feeling numb.

ps - totally crap posting by moi there, not exactly supportive, more my own little whine-fest - apologies.

7. IDKwhatIwant

IDKwhatIwant Well-Known Member

:sad: ooo... i dont cry either.

8. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

I've wanted to cry for a long, long time. Haven't been able to shed a drop since November 2005. Not when I found out that my childhood best friend died in a car accident, not when I found out that several others had been killed in the war, not when my uncle was diagnosed with cancer, not when my grandmother nearly died from pneumonia, not when I found out that my parents were considering a divorce and were in marriage counseling.

I have no idea what the hell is wrong with me.

9. LastCrusade

LastCrusade Well-Known Member

You should try smashing up things that you no longer want to vent your anger and frusfration. it helps. But dont go about smashing mirror, LCD Tvs, mobile phones and computers though. After smashing, it feels really good but the next day, you'd kick yourself in the ass, like me :huh:

10. plates

plates Well-Known Member

maybe you're too overwhelmed and the numbness is a safety. could be medication? i don't know.

can you pinpoint what exactly is stopping you from smashing things up and crying?

11. cinZamurai

cinZamurai Well-Known Member

I had the same problem for a long time but a sad part in the movie blood dimond brought me out of it today.

12. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey El,
    Sorry for replying late. Have you tried taking it out on a pillow, or if there is a ymca in you area go there and use there heavy bag and just punch the living shit out of it. I would recommend taping you wrists if you do that.
    Maybe go out somewhere isolated and take a bucket with you and just scream at the top of your lungs and kick the bucket around. The screaming helps alot of people. Just make sure your isolated in the woods or a park because you will get some strange stares from people...You need to get it out...Take care!!

13. aki

aki Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have been thinking of going to a secluded spot and screaming. Thanks again for the replies.

14. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

If it’s any consolation I’m in the same boat as you. So you’re not alone.

And it may be a good thing that we can’t cry. There seems to be a lot of people who can’t cry, meaning our boat is getting pretty full. So if everyone started crying we might sink.

(Pardon my bad sense of humour.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.