Unbearable

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Obsessive, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

Been afraid of anesthesia ever since a surgery at age 6, and that fear was only reinforced by a bad experience I had with it during Electro convulsive Therapy. And now I find out that I need ear surgery. I don't know how to handle this; all I'm ever told is to just deal with things so that hopefully they're get better, but I can only dread my future altogether.

Been suffering from major depression ever since age 12. I'm a social outcast who can't connect with anyone or enjoy anything. Any time I try something new I fail miserably. Any time I try to talk with anyone I sound like an idiot. I hate myself every day and am sick of being around myself. I'm sick of living like this. Why can't I hurry up and die? :sad:

2. SoHappyItHurts

SoHappyItHurts Well-Known Member

Possibly because you know your social phobia can be gradually overcome, such as with the help of therapy. If you are like me, you will always be an introvert, but you don't have to be lonely. ("It's the lonliness that's the killer" is one of my favorite Seal lyrics.)

3. Obsessive

Except it isn't social phobia, it's that due to several mental disabilities which can't be cured that it's nearly impossible to communicate.

4. SoHappyItHurts

Of course, "cure" is different than "treat" or "overcome."

And what mental disabilities/disorders are you referring to?

5. Obsessive

Aspergers, OCD, and ADHD. And the fact that I'm just plain stupid. >.>

6. SoHappyItHurts

Regarding your fear of anesthesia, I think it's perfectly normal, though you may be more anxious than most. In one study, 27 percent of patients admitted to having such fears. As far as managing such anxiety, I would recommend the standard stuff like exercise, talking about your fears to a therapist, journaling, etc.

And I don't think anyone with OCD could be "stupid" since it's a thinking man's disease :) I have been diagnosed with OCD as well (in addition to depression and more general anxiety), and it is my experience that behavior therapy helps the most with the obsessive thinking, which is also what the clinical studies show. And, as you may know, the best and most popular book on treating OCD is "Brain Lock," which discusses the 4 steps.

Regarding Aspergers, this seems to be on the mark:

And I think OCD and ADHD are often related since by obsessing/concentrating on some things, it is harder to focus one's attention on other things. And my understanding is that people with Aspergers tend to obsess about certain things, so I think these things are related, meaning that if you get behavior therapy for your OCD, your ADHD and Aspergers symptoms will be improved as well. [I think part of the reason people are often diagnosed with multiple disorders is for insurance purposes, though that may not be usually the case. My relative was once diagnosed with having 5 different mental disorders at the same time (OCD, post-traumatic stress disorder, general anxiety disorder, depression, and ADHD), when, in actuality, she really only had one underlying condition -- bipolar disorder.]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2008
  7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

You aren't alone, here at the forum we don't judge people, we try to help them! I know people in the real world can be mean to you. Thats because they haven't taken the time to get to know you.
    Now that is why i'm a isolationist, I don't let any one enter into my little world. I have been lied to, cheated on, physically abused , emotionally abused, and made fun of all my life. Everyone tells me to look at me you would never know this is how I am.
    It's fourteen going on fifthteen years I have Isolated my self from the world. I live at my sisters and I stay in my bedroom . She trys to understand me, but I don't tell her anything. I just can't open up to people. Here at the forum I feel safe because no one knows me. You are braver than me, They wanted to use electro shock on me and I told them no way you aren't shocking me. As far as anathesia it effects every different. If you go in for surgery make sure you tell them that you have had bad reactions to it.
    Like I said we are here for you so don't be afraid to talk to us...:chopper:

8. SoHappyItHurts

9. Obsessive

Well I regret ECT since everything I read up on it afterwards said it was the equivalent of kicking a TV to make it work. =/

And I've seen 9 therapists total, none of which have helped.

10. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Maybe you haven't found the right one for you yet so don't give up. There are people who swear that ECT helped them a great deal. i think it is different for each person. As for the fear of anesthesia, maybe they can give you something to knock you out first so you don't know when it is happening. I don't know what type of ear surgery you are having, but some can be done with a local anesthetic. All you can do is talk it over with your surgeon and maybe the anesthesiologist. Maybe things will be different now. 6 was a long time ago. Things are more advanced now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.