unbiased discussion on marijuana and mental health

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by InnisFail, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InnisFail

InnisFail New Member

This is a topic I debate personally a lot and I have tried to find out a unbiased opinion on it by scrolling the Internet but I never found a thing. Everything I stumbled upon were narrow minded opinions and either the weed is amazing or weed is bad approach and people where always so defensive that they where right. There has never seemed to be a grey area, which I think it is and reacation strongly depends on the individual. Does weed help with depression or does It ultimatley dig you into a deeper hole? I'm not even talking of extreme usage. But take for example a person who suffers from anxiety and depression and smokes marijuana to help relax, sleep and not constanly worry about today, yesterday and tomorrow but leads an otherwise normal life. Is that wrong? Or dangerous to their already Ill mind? Even if it's only a few at night but it's every night? Does it really cause depression or worsen it? Or has anyone ever used it to treat anxiety or depression? fair open opinions and personal experiences if they are there.

2. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

Well, my opinion of it is kind of a grey area, I suppose. It depends on what kind of person you are. If you have an addictive personality, then smoking weed can only lead you down the path of addiction. Not necessarily with weed itself, but other things that you're going to end up trying when you get the chance. And, I mean, usually if you have a connect to get you weed, then it won't be too difficult to find someone who has other things as well. Cause either that guy is going to know somebody or he's going to know somebody who knows somebody. So, in an addict's case, marijuana can easily be a gateway drug that will ruin your entire life. And truthfully, it's usually the people with intense depression/anxiety who have addictive personalities because they're eagerly looking for something to take that away.

Now, on the other hand, there are people who smoke weed and still lead normal lives, some that I know personally. None of those people are overly depressed, if at all. They're social and outgoing and have jobs. Although, one of them IS an ex-heroin addict, which is a very unusual case. Truthfully, I'm very shocked he hasn't ended up going back to heroin after all the years he's been smoking weed on daily basis. And to top it off, he even successfully quit smoking tobacco recently. But that's a very unlikely outcome for most ex-junkies, not one that I would recommend. I was also a heroin user, and I know damn well that if I were to keep smoking weed I'd want to go back to other things. Same for my husband. But then there are people who have never been addicted to other drugs and smoke weed. My husband's aunt is one of those. She's been smoking weed for at least as long as I've known her (probably a lot longer), but she doesn't exhibit any addictive behaviors for weed or anything else for that matter. She's very well off financially, has a family and a son, recently bought a new house, and in general is a pretty happy, outgoing sort of person.

So, like I said, it definitely depends on what kind of person you are. If you're smoking it to numb some kind of (mental) pain, then chances are something bad is going to come out of it. If you're generally a happy person though, you don't exhibit any addictive behaviors, and you have your life together, then you'll probably be fine. As for whether it CAUSES depression...I honestly don't think so, but that's my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  3. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Weed is great at making a person not care and things feel ok, generally. I do think a -small- amount of people may be able to use it for mental health but for the majority I dont think it helps. For me it makes things feel ok the problem is it makes my memory/focus worse, social anxiety worse, critical thinking worse and I just plain am even less motivated when I smoke. I also have an addictive personality so for the near future at least I will be staying away from it. This is my experience everyone is different. Also some ways of coping can work for a while but after some time it may not and start to cause harm and dependency.

4. normaljoe

normaljoe Well-Known Member

marijuana is a depressant. so like alcohol it will feel like it helps in the short term but ultimately it makes it worse long term. the side effects of pot include increased anxiety as well. it may not CAUSE depression but I know people who are "addicted" so to speak. (i dont believe there is enough evidence to prove physical addiction qualities of pot) their habitual use is substituted with the phrase addiction.

5. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

Are we talking thc or the chemicals? There is that one non-high inducing seizure extract. You can grow it with minimal "high" properties, based on how you "clone" the plant. That's the obvious one though.
    Benefits
    It's an easy way to relax, and it makes you enjoy eating, and it does help ease the the anxiety associated with depression, and generally makes you feel better. If used casually. It will make you sleep, and sleep thorough.
    Cons
    Excessive use drains energy (i know one guy who i swear acts like he is smoking crack on it) drains ambition, and slows mental processes. Plus next day tiredness. Sort of why you use it…
    Withdrawal
    Withdrawal comes with a few days of depression, then within a week you start feeling "normal" or if you use it 2-3 days then quit, symptoms might just be tiredness the next day.

Even the biggest stoner can have minimal physical withdrawl, but it is emotionally addictive. Not like Xanax, but it provides an "easy escape" and is an interval part of your routine.
    Phsyically
    I have no idea about "miracle claims" or "reefer madness syndrome" I think the amount of restrictions/ bias makes testing pretty iffy. But it acts by mimicing dopamine (happy cells) and flooding the brain. Then it wears down, and you generally get mild depression as your body adjusts. Like every other substance from food to water to crack.
    Opinion
    It's up to indiviual choice. If you are anxious, i know people that say to use that as a reason to do more. When I'm anxious, I can't function at all. Anxiety attack prone people would find benefit from ocasional use. Like current benzos, but not addicting as cigs.

Depressed people will feel better for a bit, but it's no cure. It's a temporary way to feel better. It will "stop working" and you will just be perma-high. If you want sypmtom releif, it's great. But it will hinder your ambition to change the situation at hand. Again, best used for severe symptoms.
    Legal
    It's illegal in most places. You can get "medical cards" in some areas of USA, but you can still be arreated federally, or ticketed by state police. In Colorado it's legal to all, but again, Federal law over rules state.

It will show up on drug screens, and lasts for a long time. It's a disbarment of pre-employment drug tests, or state drug tests. (Usa) or if in your system at all, can result in a DUI, even if you were off for days.
    Big issue
    The biggest concern isn't really brought up much. Driving. You are moderately-severely impaired while driving high. You get distracted, slow reaction times, may pass out, 'space out', not notice speed, or get mixed up by lights/ signs. No matter your tollerance, it's never safe to "smoke and fly" any more than drinking & driving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.