Uncontrollable Nervous Habits?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by WhyMeWhy, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Well.... I am biting my nails without even thinking now. I catch myself doing it and have to stop myself, but I can't catch myself in time! My fingernails are bitten past the cuticles... 4 fingers on each hand are hurting, some fingernails are bleeding, and I still won't/can't stop it untill the pain gets so bad that I actually catch myself chewing at the cuticles. Now I've been biting my nails for many years but it's only getting worse. It's never been this bad, and still I feel the urge to keep biting which I have to physically deny by catching myself the moment I start feeling the pain. But
    I'm still catching myself at the moment I feel the cuticle painfully tearing. And typing this is not hurting as much as biting I keep on doing to each finger in turn... the bleeding fingers are burning tho... & I still feel the urges to bite some more

2. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

I tend to shake my foot. A lot.

3. Wierd

Wierd Well-Known Member

You could try putting on a pair of gloves when your fingers aren't busy doing precise work, such as writing or typing. Then, you'd end up biting the gloves instead. Not only would this prevent you from biting your fingernails, but this would also catch your attention and lesson your tries in the future. I wouldn't buy super-expensive gloves for this though.

As for my habits..
    -I unconsciously bite my nails too, but only enough to keep them trimmed. Mostly I stop when they are short, before they start to bleed or get irritated.
    -I shake either of my legs (but not both at the same time).
    -I crack my neck by quickly tilting my head back and pulling my shoulders back at the same time.
    -I crack my knees by bending them and stretching them out back out several times in a row.
    -I clench my fists.
    -I bite my tongue from both sides with my back teeth (with my mouse closed so you probably wouldn't be able to tell unless you knew).
    -I stretch.
    -I clench my hair and pull at it.
    -I adjust my glasses.
    -I quietly clear my throat.
    -I tap my fingers on the table
    -I tap my foot on the floor.
    -I put my big toe on top of my index toe and push down until it goes back down. Then I put it below my index toe and push up.
    -I tap my hand on my stomach.
    -I drum out a rhythm with my hands on the table
    -I quietly hum
    -I rub between my eyes with the tip of my index finger
    -I bite my bottom lip with my front teeth
    -maybe more that I don't even notice...

Some of these I do more often than others.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2007
  4. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I don't notice it but I've been told I blink a lot. I was taping a performance last year where I was smashing something up and I was blinking a lot without realising. I don't know if it's nervousness. I just do it? I tend to bite my lip and just grin stupidly too..when I'm nervous. And my social worker says I'm always am on the edge of the seat and wanting to fly off when I've had enough of her. I just get agitated with her in a small room for too long.

I do the adjusting glasses thing too Wierd, mainly because they are slipping off my face and they just get annoying. I fiddle with my hair if its getting in my face- that I know is nervousness and I don't like doing that.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.