"Underrated" : Boredom

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by tehvenom, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tehvenom

tehvenom Member

Hi this is my first thread and as it happens my first real post with this account.

Now is it just me, or does anyone else think that boredom is a heavily underrated emotion? I was discussing some of the worst pains in life with a 'friend' online, and when I mentioned Boredom, she laughed, but I guess she doesn't understand how crushingly mindnumbing it can be.

Now I'm deffinately no genius, but I think it's something geniuses know. I used to have a classmate that is extremely intelligent (though he doesn't show it), but I am 100% sure that he is very very depressed. No ones seemed to notice that, but i did, and he did notice me aswell.

Anyway, a large part of the origin of his depressive feelings was boredom: Being intelligent instantly makes 99% of all people and what they say complete annoying nonsence and bullshit and completely unimportant. Everyday is the same. And everything people do and talk about and do all day is complete nonsense and unimportant.
    Truly, boredom is very very painful. A lot of people, even those who have (had) difficulties in life, don't see this strangely. But it is very painfull in a mindnumbing kind of way, and it's right up there with other great pains, such as, for example, lonelyness, wich can also make you crazy.

Thanks for reading. Does anyone agree or understand what I mean? I presume so.

2. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

I agree completely. Boredom tortured me for most of my childhood, and I had to learn the hard way how to keep my mind occupied. As I've matured I realized that many people do not know how to do this, so perhaps the boredom was a gift as much as a curse in my case. :unsure:

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I understand and agree with what you are saying. Boredom can easily bring on depression as the mind is not stimulated is not happy lets say in this state.
    One needs excitement in life new challenges to keep a mind useful and growing without this life gets to modane to tiring. When one tries to change their life up a bit with trying new skills like art music learning new courses that are of interest to you the brain grows and excitment and happiness at our accomplishments is obtained. Boredom is one emotion thats telling you get off your butt and try something new thats my read on it anyways thanks.

4. xan

xan Chat Buddy

I agree... and yet I'd pick boredom over heart break, anxiety, apathy, anger and any of the other mind crushing, soul corroding feelings that seem to flow through my veins like a million tiny razor blades ripping me to pieces....

5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I live with boredom and lonliness everyday..If I didn't have the friends I have made here I would most assuridly be dead by now..I have isolated myself in my bedroom for sixteen years.. Fourteen of which I had no computer.. So I would just lay in bed staring at the ceiling fan going around.I can't relate to people publicly..The things I use to do to distract me have no meaning anymore because I have become bored with them also..I am in the works of finding a couple of new hobbies..

6. christian_1990

christian_1990 Well-Known Member

you are not the only one

7. Actually, boredom can either be a sign of a mind being underchallenged OR overchallenged. There's a common misconception that being understimulated is the cause of boredom. A student unable to comprehend his studies will indeed also get bored. The level of one's intelligence has nothing to do with it.

So Tehvenom, If 99% of what people say is annoying bullshit, then what would be the 1% that piques your curiosity? What do YOU find interesting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.