Unemployment and Depression...anyone else?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Stacey, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacey

Stacey New Member

So, I’m at my wits end at this point. I’ve been unemployed since November and I see no end it sight.

Each night, I pray I won’t wake up in the morning but each morning, I do. I just turned 40 and was hoping I wouldn’t make it. The pain and frustration is unbearable.

Has unemployment caused any of you to be this depressed?

2. MeAndYou

MeAndYou Well-Known Member

I've been unemployed since February mostly as a result of depression and some form of BDD (i dont know for sure i havent talkt ot a doctor about it). I havent even attempted to look for a job and i ran out of money last month. Its going to be a homeless life for me real soon. :lone:

3. Madison_Rose

Madison_Rose Active Member

I'm unemployed because I'm depressed - left my job in febuary because I couldn't cope, I was just crying all the time. Last time I went to the job centre to look for work, I came up with a suicide plan on the walk home. It was the closest I've ever been, and now I'm terrified to look for work again, in case it sets me off again. Great, eh? Hopefully I'll get some pills that work for me, and then I can find myself a job without being convinced that I'll fail.

4. triggs

triggs Account Closed

just sending a :hug: xx

5. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

hey there
    I don't know what come first..the depression or the unemployment..but yes..it is hard to be unemployed AND depressed.I challenge anyone to try it.
    Take care Stacey

6. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I've been unemployed since last August. My depression isn't any worse now than it was when I was working though.

7. Stacey

Stacey New Member

I was never depressed before I lost my job. I was always happy, my life was perfect until then. Now, the job market is in the tank, I have no medical insurance and very little savings left.

My walls are caving in and crushing me. Everyday is a struggle and I simply cannot wait for the pain to end.

8. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I used to find it hard to work because I was depressed, now that I am feeling better and ready to work again I can't find a job! My Mum wants to retire and keeps saying how ill she is and how she is dying and one of the reasons she can't and won't retire is because I am not working - so she is sending me on the huge guilt trip to find work, but I am looking, THERE ISN'T ANY!
    I feel like I cannot start my life until I am back in work, I am stuck in a rut, I see no end to my credit card bills and all of the overdrafts and debts I took out at University (that I didn't finish) are mounting. I am not exactly qualified to do anything either so I am looking for entry level work, retail, waitressing etc. alongside the masses.

I am stuck and I am screwed and it is just making everything ten times worse. :(
    If I didn't have a roof over my head I don't know what I would do, so for that I am thankful at least.

9. am I alive

am I alive Well-Known Member

Yeah, when you have no money you can't do anything with your life. I am unemployed myself and my life is just stucked in the middle and i dont know what to do anymore. Been looking for job for a year now with no success. I've been depressed even before but now its dubbled...My life remineds me of Alice Cooper song-Lost in America, i'm not from America though...

10. Cortez

Cortez Banned Member

Yes, I have been unemployed since last September. I was working in May for about a month and a half, but my depression got so bad that I left that job. While my depression is still there I am still actively looking for work. I start school in September, so maybe I can find a part time or something.

11. Ronin

Ronin New Member

Been out of 9-5 routine since Feb of this year and it has been really tough to keep life in check. It would be one thing if the world economy was stable but with the markets on the wildest rollercoaster ride in a long time even finding part-time work is tough. I have had to make some big sacrifices to keep a roof over my head and pillow to rest my head on.
    I've noticed that my depression is the worst first thing in the morning. Not quite sure why that is but each day it right there waiting for me as soon as I open my eyes.
    I try to get my mind off those things by either drawing or reading or just getting outside for bit of fresh air.
    Sometimes I hate being depressed because it makes me feel so bad, other times I sort of saver it because in a twisted sort of way its comforting to know that the depression is always there -- I can sort of count on it -- which I cant honestly say about some other people and things in my life right now.

12. JTemplar

JTemplar Member

Employed, struggling to keep my job, went from one department who were downsizing and reduced hours to as little as 15 hours a week, worked my ass off, got promoted, promised full time hours and long term position, 2 months later, I am now back to square one, at 20 hours a week and potential to lose my job at any given moment.
    Just being in a position of uncertainty is bad, least I have some work, even if its near to not having a job..

13. helen345

helen345 Member

Yeah definitely my depression was worsened when I was unemployed. Although I felt almost as bad when I was working in a job I hated as well. I'm so jealous of people who know exactly what they want to do with their life and can just get on with it without worrying about time or money or losing interest in it as soon as they're qualified and working. I don't feel I'm ever going to be able to do that in my life.
    However, try not to give up, it's a rough time for the economy and there seem to be some signs to say it's getting better. What's the area you live in like, is it quite rural or a town or city?

14. lifeisashedog

lifeisashedog Well-Known Member

Lifeisashedog proudly reports to "workforce on standby" :patriot:

...for one month, but I was working for peanuts for 4 months before so i guess they don't count.

15. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi stacey,

welcome to SF.

I can't add anymore to whats been said, I just want you to know that you're not alone
    Feel free to pm me anytime x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.