unemployment and suicide

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by palmtrees, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palmtrees

palmtrees Well-Known Member

Why is it so fucking hard to get a job? How is it that so many people are denied the most basic means to support themselves when there is so much wealth and when scientific and technological capabilities are so high? Is it any wonder that suicides go up when unemployment goes up?

For me here's the average cycle:
    1) Scrounge the online ads, temp agencies and personal contacts for any kind of job opportunity. Sacrifice incomprehensible amounts of time, energy and dignity.

2) Find three kinds of jobs:
    -jobs that pay a ton but require years of specialized training
    -jobs that pay very little that literally anyone can do but the hirers still want someone with experience (can't assume someone knows how to clean a toilet unless they've already done it for 2 years)
    -jobs that I'm completely qualified for but have to compete with thousands of other people to get

3) Apply for jobs with little hope of getting any of them. Fill out dozens of irritating application forms with the exact same information that is already on my resume. Possibly become dismissed from consideration just because I left out a comma, didn't capitalize the job title, or misunderstood the incompetently written instructions. Wait for weeks without an answer or phone call while repeating step 1.

I have a college degree and about 4 years of work experience, yet this has been my daily existence for MONTHS. I can't stand all the wasted time and effort. I really, REALLY want to kill myself.
  2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Well, you're right! It really shouldn't be so difficult to get a decent job in any society. Unfortunately, right now (as you are aware) the entire planet is suffering from an economic global meltdown. I tried to get a driving job delivering letters and documents. These type of jobs were always available because they pay very little and are hard on the nerves. But there were abaout 50 applicants for 1 job. Also, there were 700 overqualified applicants for a janitors job in Ohio, U.S.A. It's supposed to improve fairly soon, so at least hang in there for awhile and maybe something will happen. There are supposed to be new jobs in the U.S. in the field of energy development and manufacturing. At least it's something.
  3. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I say let's not bring any lost jobs back, let's keep losing jobs. This is the future. Aren't robots supposed to do our jobs while we stay home and look after our families and loved ones?

Jobs are and have always been useless pieces of shit.
  4. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

Man, once you get the job you seek, it'll all be worth it, and all this bullshit will be left behind.

I promise you that.
  5. palmtrees

palmtrees Well-Known Member

That sounds good... I hope so.
  6. forgotten1591

forgotten1591 Member

Sometime you have to sacrifice your time, energy and dignity to get by just till you get that dream job. If you keep trying it can only be a matter of time till your successful.
  7. Seabiscuit

Seabiscuit Member

I agree with forgotten,never to abort until you success.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.