Unerved by not being able to remember what happened...

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by mackaroni, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mackaroni

mackaroni Well-Known Member

So after my last suicide attempt I started feeling weird because I couldnt remember for three days after I attempted. I am glad that I am survived, but unerved that I dont remember what happened. Its like I have this big blank in my head. Most people probably dont want to have remembered this time but its like I am trying to put the pieces back in. I have been trying to put bit by bit of the pieces of what happened to fill in the blanks. I just dont like NOT knowing what happened, but my psychiatrist says that is probably good that I dont remember due to the trauma that it probably caused. Anybody else feel this way?

2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I think that there are probably a lot of people who have attempted, but don't remember much about it. Might be especially the case if the person dissociated (zoned out), took an overdose of something, was drinking (enough to have a blackout - memory loss), or the person was unconscious for a lengthy period of time. And sometimes our bodies and brains just don't work to retrieve those kinds of memories.

3. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

Quite a few kinds of medications can impair or inhibit the formation of new memories for some time when you OD on them.

4. alyssaswoon

alyssaswoon Well-Known Member

I've blacked out twice in my life from overdosing and I can totally understand the horrible feeling of not being able to remember what you did.
    It felt like two days of my life were just taken from my memory and it still bothers me to this day. I got a couple details of what I was like from one of the people that was around me and it sounds like it was horrible, and traumatic. Some parts of me are happy I don't remember; because I'd hate myself for the things I did, other parts of me are unhappy I don't remember because I'd like to live and learn from my mistakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.