Unhappy !!!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by lostsoul44, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostsoul44

lostsoul44 Member

I am new to this site and am hoping for some help. I have been feeling suicidal now for the last few weeks. I have been put on anti-depressant tablets but they do not appear to be doing much to help the situation although I have only been on them just over a week. Is there anyone else out there that feels like me???

2. truthhurts

truthhurts Well-Known Member

Antidepressants don't work that fast. My psychiatrist prescribed me with them (escitalopram, if i remember correctly) over a year ago and i used them for around 6 months. They helped me in time, but in around the first month it made me feel worse. My psychiatrist did warn me about different side-effects that may occur tho, which shud also be on the package of the medication. (some reference if u want exact information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antidepressant ). In a way, antidepressants are quite dangerous for a suicidal person at first, because of the forementioned reason, so u should prolly talk to ur doctor (if u're seeing one still), or someone u can trust, when u feel more down. I kno from experience that they do help improve the mood when u take them regularly, as prescribed, and don't stop taking them when u feel worse. That's basically how they work for some reason, so it's normal that u're not feeling good right now.

If u want more information on this u can ask me as well, hope it was helpful.
    Best wishes and hang in there,
    -EijiSama~

3. lostsoul44

lostsoul44 Member

Thanks for that. I suppose I had better prepare myself for rough times ahead then. Did you ever feel suicidal?

4. truthhurts

truthhurts Well-Known Member

When i got the meds? Actually not really, because my whole view on life had changed by that time alrdy, because some people had talked to me. My having been suicidal was not because of mood or anything, and it had nothing to do with other people (if you want more information on that, u can pm me or so and i can give u my contact information). Before starting with antidepressants i was basically in a state of complete apathy - i didnt feel like anything, no anger, fear, sadness, happyness, frustration, nothing. I was like an empty shell. Gradually i started getting back my more emotional side, especially when i started with the meds, and at first i felt about like, desperate/anxious? Im not rly sure how to describe the feeling. It all sort of made my chest tighten and such. But i didnt rly feel suicidal after that. Prolly yea because my view on it had changed. I understand that these first few weeks can make a person feel suicidal tho, and i would hav prolly felt that way as well, if i hadnt talked to anyone.

So yea, it's sort of difficult to explain, i hope u got the main idea. If u get any other questions, im here daily.

-EijiSama~

5. CanoeGirl

CanoeGirl Member

Yeh, it definitely takes several weeks for anti-depressants to really kick in and start helping your mood. So hold out til then, and see if it makes you feel better or see life through a prettier lens. I'm glad your on this site, though, cus if you are feeling that bad, it's nice to have to have people to talk to about stuff. Even after the meds kick in, feeling closer to people and cared for gives life a boost. Any specific reason why you want to die?

6. aussiegal

aussiegal Well-Known Member

I have been on my new meds for two weeks now and I am feeling a hell of a lot worse! I haven't slept for more than an hour at a time for a few weeks. Wide awake! Its driving me crazy! Holding out for them to kick in but wish they would hurry up.

7. It was Aristotle who said

"Happiness depends on ourselves"

You have the power to change your perception at any given moment. Stop looking to others to find happiness and work on improving yourself for your own sake.

"A man who as a physical being is always turned toward the outside, thinking that his happiness lies outside him, finally turns inward and discovers that the source is within him."
    -Søren Kierkegaard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.