uni/collage living

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by justmeonlyme, Jun 10, 2011.

where did you live when at collage/uni

1. on campus in the dorms

8 vote(s)
  2. went flatting

3 vote(s)
  3. lived at home (not an option for me just wondering)

6 vote(s)
  4. lived part of the time on campus and flatted as well

4 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

ok so i was so sure for uni next year i was going to try live on-campus but then my friends have been suggesting be we all flat together and even looked into prices and things and its got me really confused im so unsure of what i want to to i was just wondering for those of you who have gone to uni or collage did you live on or off campus? would you change and do the other if you could? any suggestions about either?
  2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Sometimes its best for college students to spend their first year in the dorms. It helps them adjust easier to college life.
  3. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

in the dorms for me
  4. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

I lived in the dorms for my first year and then at home for the next four years (I was about 20 minutes from my university). I moved back home to save money and make it easier to maintain a lawn business I had in my neighborhood. Well that was my excuse anyways. I think part of it was because that way I wasn't faced with as many stressful social situations.

I would definitely recommend living in the dorms for the first year or two and then get an apartment if you want. It's a lot easier to get connected with campus life and to meet people if you're in the dorms.

When do you start college? Best of luck to you!
  5. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

The concept of dorms never really caught up in some parts of Europe, and in my country no uni has them, to my knowledge. Usually the students assosiation simply helps students find houses for rent, if they require. As for me, Ive been living with my parents the whole time, which is not unusual for colleges in the capital.
  6. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

I took out the maximum student loan and rented my own apartment. Accumulated a bit more debt than average once I graduated but overall I think it was worth it.

I work at my old university right now so I'm fairly familiar with the ups and downs of all options.

Renting place alone:
    +it's great
    -it's expensive

Renting place with friends:
    +you can usually get something fairly nice with your combined resources
    +it's quieter than the dorms (if your friends are considerate)
    +fairly inexpensive
    -if your friends run into trouble and have to move out for whatever reason, you are liable for their portion of the rent. Make sure you have friends you can trust.

+on campus
    -zero privacy
    -you may get bundled in with a roommate you don't like

If your friends are reliable and you're all on the same page as far as how long you want to stay there, type of lifestyle you want in the place (parties/no parties), then I think that's the best value for money. If you're like me and absolutely could not tolerate roommates of any kind, then apartment on your own can work too if you find a good cheap deal.

Dorms are last resort. They're only fun if you like being around loud drunk people.
  7. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I lived in the dorms for two years, and had my own apartment for three.

I enjoyed the peace and freedom in renting my own apartment, which was a good deal at the time and there was even a student discount. These days it probably costs an arm, a leg, both feet, and a lung.

When I lived on campus, I was close to everything, didn't have to commute, it was easier to be social and join clubs and organizations, and the library was always nearby just in case.

It's really up to the individual. I liked both living situations, but I didn't like having a roommate in the dorm, and living off campus made me feel a bit isolated from on campus events.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2011
  8. justmeonlyme

thanks guys i think i have alot of things i need to take into consideration when i make the choice
  9. reynard_muldrake

reynard_muldrake Well-Known Member

First half of college: home. Later half: apartment/dorm. I definitely don't regret moving as I desperately needed a change of pace. In any event, good luck!
  10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I did some living at home, some "flatting". Would never do a dor.m
  11. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I live near my university, and couldn't afford to move from where I am now, but have been glad I didn't have to live on campus because I am 25 and therefore living with a bunch of 19 year olds is not an appealing idea to me. However, if I was 19 too, living on campus can be a great way to make instant friends and get in on all the social aspects of university life.

As far as I know, most universities in the UK guarantee first year students a place on campus, and then most students move into houses or flats with their friends for their second and third year. I guess this is because they don't know anyone for their first year, and by the second year have found people they like and trust to live with. So if you already know you could live with your friends and trust them (very important, as have been pointed out already), if might be nice to live with them.

It would probably be quieter living with your friends than on campus, and if you find a place near the campus you'll still be able to easily participate in the social events and can invite people to the flat for parties, etc. It can be expensive, but from what I've seen at my own university, people off campus are getting more for their money than people in uni accommodation.

I would speak to your friends about it and explain to them your thoughts on which might be better and see what they say. They obviously think it would be better to live together, so let them convince you, if their reasons are good enough.

12. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Chat Buddy

I lived in a student village, abt 10 min bus ride to uni but still owned by the uni. I didn't want to be on campus because I wanted a bit more freedom but at the same time this place offered security.. it was also dirt cheap! Money is an important factor I have to say... but anyway living in the village i was in a 7 bed flat, with shared kitchen and bathroom, in a complex full of other students. It was awesome. I had some troubles because of my mental health but I would not change my choice. It was a great experience moving away from home but still gave the security of someone looking out for you if you needed it, which is definately good in your first year. Second year we were made to go get a flat or shared house or whatever.. but i wasn't there long because I met my bf and moved in with him :smile: but i'm sure it would have been good too. The thing with campus is its with the uni so u are relatively safe and you won't get messed around by a shitty landlord, its also usually a bit cheaper..over here anyway. Flatting is usually a private landlord and they are a mixed bag, make sure you find a nice one if u choose this route!

Good Luck sweetie :hug:
  13. justmeonlyme

well im not sure flatting with friends will be happening people keep changing there minds and things so i think because i need structure and need to know well in advance when im making big changes the friend thing isnt going to work. so i have the option of living on campus (catered or un catered) or finding another place to flat (one friend separate from the last lot said i could flat with her maybe), so yea im in the process of writing pros and cons lists will keep you guys updated :)
  14. Escapist

Escapist Well-Known Member

I started my studies about a small two months ago. I had the option to live in Dorms or a Student Flat, but I decided to just do it at home. That way it's easier to concentrate and you are familiar with your surroundings. In the end it's all up to you and how serious you are with your studies, perhaps try to base your decision a bit on that aswell.

Flatting only works if you have very reliable friends. It's best to skip that option to be honest. Saves possible trouble.

Good luck!

Edit; Read that 'Home' isn't an option. I'll await your updates, could be an idea to start flatting but make sure that when things go wrong you have some kind of back up.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2011
  15. justmeonlyme

so ive decided to live on campus for my 1st year then see what happens
  16. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I think that's a good idea. Another good thing about living on campus is that you can usually change accommodation if you need to, say for example there's a problem with someone you live with or you need to downgrade to something cheaper (or upgrade to somewhere nicer!). If you were living off-campus with your friends you'd have no support and be trapped if there were financial problems.

Living on campus also means you'll have ready-made new friends, because in the first couple of weeks everyone usually wants to stick with their flatmates so they'll know someone. So until you make friends with people on your course (so until the end of freshers week!), you can rely on your flatmates.

My only other piece of advice is one that I would find hard to take myself, and that's to make yourself be really sociable in your first couple of weeks. Go to the events arranged for freshers, and if people on your course are going for drinks make sure you go. If they're not, maybe suggest it. It's very easy to back out of the social events, but if you make yourself go you will make and cement some important lasting friendships.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.