.. unique ??

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Sa Palomera, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

okay I was just thinking about this...

they say 'Everybody is unique' but then I was thinking, that's true, but at the same time, how can everybody be unique? cos surely, if EVERYBODY is unique, then it isn't unique anymore, is it? :huh:

okay it's almost 7am here and I'm still up, is this really a bit odd, or is it just time to go to sleep for me :unsure:

2. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Its still unique tho, cos your not all the same but you are all classed as unique.

What .... Est your confuzzling me.

Tis 7am here now lol and im still up :eek:hmy: i'll stay up wid ya :tongue:

3. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

but if you're all classed to be unique, then where's the uniqueness in that? :huh:

4. Est

Est Guest

to avoid waiting for approval for a bit here (I'll watch my words, no worries :tongue: ) I'll post like this :p

anyway, what I said in a post that has yet to be approved:

but if we're all classed as unique, then where's the uniqueness in that? :huh:

:unsure:

5. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

who knows :huh:

Its a good point tho. :laugh:

Est, no makineg me confuzzled ( <<< it took 3 attempts to write that :dry: lol) when i has had no sleep

:whack:

6. Est

Est Guest

so basically you can say, the phenomenon "unique" as we know it, is pointless, as it doesn't really exist? :unsure:

7. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

as individuals we are unique but if you group that together i guess we ain't so unique as we thought lol

:whack: stop making me confused and having to think :laugh:

8. Est

Est Guest

it's called brain gymnastics :tongue: good for ya in the early morning.

but then what is the definition of unique? cos I keep going back to "if everybody's unique, then it's not unique anymore, thus nobody is unique" :huh:

9. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

It ain't good when i ain't slept >.<

Definition of unique: An item of which only one specimen is known to exist.

If we compare ourselfs to each other then we are unique compared to them, right?

Being unique would be put into a group :huh: aka 'being unique' but then we wouldn't be unique anymore cos we is all unique :unsure:

Comparing ourself to others would make us unique.

Argh me head hurts >.<

Damn you Est! :tongue:

:whack:

10. Est

Est Guest

okay but then you get the next problem.

if everybody compares themselves to others then that wouldn't be considered unique anymore either... :huh:

so unique is actually non-existence? :unsure: :huh:

11. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

If you compare yourself to others you ARE unique. Compare yourself to me >.< your unique. Theres only one Ester .......

*imagines a world with 2 Esters lmao!*

*ducks the slap*

Anyways ......

So therefor you ARE unique in relation to me or anyone else but if you generalise uniquiness you got the problem of are we really unique because everyone else is?

Make sense?

12. Est

Est Guest

err. no :huh:

13. Unique_bloke

Unique_bloke Guest

There are a lot of properties that I share with other people, for example I am male, I am human etc.

The property of uniqueness is a property that I share with everybody, however that doesn't mean that I'm not unique as to be unique I only need one property that is different from everyone else and uniqueness isn't that property.

14. Est

Est Guest

thanks for your view on this :smile:

Sorry if all of that was confusing or odd, I haven't slept for quite a while and I was bored and in those situations I tend to start working out philosophical theories about anything. :smile:

I do have to say you make more sense to me than Vikki did :tongue:

15. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

How can everybody be unique?

By the differences in their background and general genetic difference.

EVERYBODY is unique, then it isn't unique anymore, is it?

What you're saying is unique in the property of being unique, if that were the case then there would be only one person different from the rest of us.

When people say "everyone is unique" they mean in the differences people have to one another. Having differences is a similarity that all people share, but does not change the fact that there are clear differences between people.

16. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Bingo. I totally agree with this

17. ^ i agree with that.

the only way in which i can think that we are unique , is our fingerprints.. and now im confused.:blink:

18. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

and irises. They are all totally different from everyone else, comparing yourself to them.

But generally all your qualities, physicality, etc, combined are all different from the combinations that others have. even identical twins are different because of their personality variations.

19. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

one of my favourite phrases is "I am unique, just like everyone else"

essentially, being unique is the only thing you have in common with 100% of the population, im not the only person in the world with brown hair and maybe theres someone out there with a nose similar to mine but maybe they have brown eyes, and even identical twins have different likes and dislikes as well as life experiences

i mean how many people in the world have the same laptop as me with the n key missing and a little sheep sat in the left corner? cant be that many and theres much more to me than that each detail making me more unique

everyone being unique doesnt make us the same, it just means we have at least one thing in common :smile:

20. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Seeeeeeeeeeeeee Est other people got me, just not you :whack: lol

Thats what i was trying to say, but i was trying to put it in a practical way >.< so Est would understand :tongue:

:hiding:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.