Unisex Toilets in Public Places

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Twocky61, Mar 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Plans are in progress to introduce unisex toilets in Britain's schools

With issues of body image for girls & boys is it right they should have to share toilets with the opposite sex?

Surely it would be an invasion of privacy to have to share a toilet with a member of the opposite sex?

Obviously the cubicles will not be shared but what is to stop a boy looking under or over the cubicle door to see a girl sat on the toilet in what would be an embarrassing situation for her?

Same applies in reverse with a girl looking under or over the cubicle door at a boy sat on the toilet - and also what about urinals? Or would there be no urinals, only toilets in cubicles?

What would be in place to protect girls from amorous boys? CCTV? But CCTV would also be an invasion of privacy
  2. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think I'd really mind the idea of unisex toilets, I doubt there are that many perverts wanting to watch me shit/pee, lol.
  3. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I used unisex toilets in France 25 years ago - basically all public toilets- never saw an issue with it at all. There is a door on the stalls - and I guess if a woman was that interested in watching my back as I used a urinal it would not really hurt my self image.... I guess I do not see what body image has to do with sharing a door to a set of plumbing fixtures, all of which but the urinals still have a stall with a door.
  5. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I think it's a terrible idea. Children are supposed to be protected and to me this puts them in harm's way. JMPO
  6. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I really do not see how it is putting anybody in harms way of anything - there is nothing "on display" , nothing to be "seen" o it is simply saying why have 2 separate rooms with private stalls as opposed to one room with private stalls..... and saving on plumbing costs , maintenance etc.

I am not sure that washing my hands beside a female as opposed to a male is really going to cause issues- that is how every other sink in classrooms work anyway...
  7. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I don't see the issue. You don't send children too young to protect themselves etc into a public toilet alone anyway - and certainly public toilets in the UK are not the variety where it is possible to see under or over; they are self contained little rooms. Nobody can look in unless they are very determined - and anyone who is very determined is perfectly capable of going into a public toilet regardless of the icon on the door.
  8. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Personally, I think it's just another sign that respecting sexual differences is continuing to be undermined. Call me old-fashioned if you like, but remembering my school days, my goodness....... the thought of boys using the same loos, ..... can't there be any space now for 'non-invasion' of a little sanctuary, even at that level?
  9. vesuvius

vesuvius Member

I may be wrong, but I thought the main reason for unisex toilets these days was to combat gender issues - trans*/non-binary people for whom choosing which gender's bathroom to use can be a really distressing and potentially dangerous situation?
    I think I remember it being in the news like last year sometime, a young trans* girl in the US or the UK or somewhere whose parents fought for the right for her to use the girls' bathroom, but the school was insisting that, since she wasn't FAAB (female-assigned at birth), that she'd have to use the staff bathroom. In the end that particular school district made it compulsory for all schools to have unisex bathrooms because of this case, so that trans* children wouldn't feel singled out for having to use a special bathroom, but would also avoid being bullied for using the "wrong" bathroom, or potentially being outed as trans* when they were previously closeted.
    But honestly I don't see a problem with it? I'm pretty sure all of the schools I went to had unisex bathrooms as well as gendered bathrooms (apart from my high school, which was a girls' school). There were never any problems with children looking under stall doors. And, I mean, we have unisex bathrooms in our homes? Brothers and sisters share the same bathroom.
    We need to remove the idea of gender from bathrooms entirely. There is nothing sexual about bathrooms - all they're for is doing your business and leaving, so I really don't understand why people are so hung up on it?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.