Unlikely trigger...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by jessneedstobethin, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessneedstobethin

jessneedstobethin Well-Known Member

Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix -
    when he has to write lines and the magic quill carves the line 'I must not tell lies' into his hand.
    For some reason, that is such a trigger for me. I'm not sure why, but I think it has something to do with the fact that, even though he knows it's going to hurt him, he carries on writing. And seeing the cuts. That's always a trigger.
    I am triggered so many times each day, just living is becoming such a big hassle. It's difficult to hold off this long!
    Does anyone else get triggered by a ton of stuff they see every day? Or do I just have SH on my mind all the time?

2. lycoris

lycoris Well-Known Member

Dont worry about being triggered by this. I remember going to see that in a cinema and a bunch of people (from another support site) warned me how triggering it was.

It doesn't trigger me but I can certainly see why it might do.

Out of interest is it the book or the film you mean?

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah, I get triggered by stuff all the time. But I try my best to avoid stuff that will trigger me. I'm sorry that you are being triggered a lot but I hope things will get easier for you soon.

4. Chocolate Heartache

Chocolate Heartache Active Member

I found that scene really difficult to watch - thankfully I was with some friends who knew it would upset me, and let me hide behind them when the scary bits were.
    The bits I did catch from behind my friend's jacket, I found very triggering, it's basically someone carving words into themselves, no different from those self-harmers who write words on themselves, except that this wasn't his choice* to do it, he was being forced.
    *I understand that some people feel they have to choice whether to self-harm or not - I SI regularly, but it feels now like the SI controls me, whereas when I started I felt in control of it. YKWIM, my brain isn't working.

Yucky, not a film I'd call family viewing!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2012
  5. jessneedstobethin

lycoris - i meant the film, i don't remember being triggered by the book, but perhaps someone else has been.. it is strange to think that something meant for younger people has this sort of stuff in it. i'm not sure jk rowling knew what she was doing.

witty sarcasm - thank you :) i hope you're feeling a bit better now btw, i saw your posts before :hug: i'm 248 days away from being SH free for one whole year. I think once i get to that point, things will get easier. for now, it's pretty tough.

chocolate heartache - you're lucky your friends understand :) that's a really good thing! treasure them! i know what you mean, it's not a choice for a lot of people - the compulsion is very strong as it gets more and more addictive, but it is possible to break the cycle - i'm proof of that... just trying to continue to be.

thanks for the replies guys

6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

You're welcome, and thank you for being concerned about me. Not many people in my life seem to care about how I'm feeling, but I guess then they don't really need to be part of my life. I know it's tough but you should be proud of yourself for not self harming for so long. :smile:

7. jessneedstobethin

that's ok... many people often don't know what to say or how to help, so don't write them all off straight away :) if you do ever want to talk i'm here :hug:
    i am quite proud of myself, but i can't help think of the struggle ahead. the triggering seems to get worse. just got to keep on i guess, pff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.