Unnecessary Aggression = Low Intelligence?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Shogun, Jun 22, 2010.

?

Do you think unnecessary aggression is linked to low intelligence?

1. Yes

44.8%
  2. No

51.7%
  3. Don't know

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Do you think people who are overly aggressive with little provocation are like that because they lack intelligence?

I was with a girlfriend a few years ago that strongly believed that. I think I agree with her.

I always wonder about people who go around trying to pick fights with people or would snap over the tiniest issues.

2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

This is certainly a touchy subject but I just had to reply as I I really feel the two are linked. That has been my experience anyways, so for what is worth that is my opinion. I don't know if they just lack self control or are just assholes but the two seem to go hand in hand with the people I have met.

3. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

Not sure. They certainly have the inability to rationalize and introspect. But for some, it seems to be an issue of brain chemistry.

4. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

No Shogun I mean I see your point but I can get aggressive and lash out at people as a way of self destructing and hurting myself, and I do have a good level of intelligence. I had it explained to me it is like I am emotionally hanging together by threads because of stuff that has happened. I get upset the thread wears thin then something small can break it because it is already been hacked at so to speak, I cannot rationalise certain emotions or express myself, as well as this I do not realise I am doing it.

I guess sometimes things build up in me, and it takes the smallest thing to then trigger it.

Interesting point mind =)

5. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Possibly, or people who refuse to comprehend certain elements, so they can only take a debate or conversation so far until it goes beyond their personal accepted perceptions. Since they refuse to step out of their defined world and be open to other possibilities and perceptions, a discussion that veers out of their will seem hostile to them, and they respond to keep the topic on hand anchored to their defined world by createing as much resistence as possible and by stopping the external influence.

That's atleast how I look at it. Basically it's choice that's become ingrained and just a repetitive pattern. I wouldn't really generalize it as low intelligence.

6. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

I voted yes. Imo, they lack a certain kind of intelligence. For sure.

7. Robin

Robin Guest

Didn't they just find out that, especially in men, the chemicals released in our brains not only shorten our life span when we get aggressive but also tend to interfere with the reasoning parts of our brains?

8. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I think we all snap here and there if pushed far enough, but it takes a wise mind to control it until diplomacy is clearly not working and you're left with no other choice.

I'm talking about people who literally fight with strangers over a small shoulder check on the street or stepping on one's shoes by accident. There are people out there that look to fight you over something as petty as that.

I'm also talking about extreme aggression over tiny issues too.

9. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Yeah I mean I have been in a bar out and depending on my mood someone might knock into me sometimes I say it is fine and smile etc, other times I have actually scared myself how I have reacted even on marines which we all know is just stupid especially considering I am tall. There was one occasion when I started on a bunch of rugby students because well I have no idea something bugged me, and yes I got my head kicked in for that.

10. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Not necessarily because of low intelligence, I'll have to vote 'no'. There are a plethora of other reasons and circumstances that could increase a person's irritability and likelihood of acting aggressive under, seemingly, unprovoked situations. High blood pressure, menstruation, pregnancy, emotional trauma and distress, temperature, mental disorders not linked to retardation or intelligence deficiency (such as paranoia, narcissism, schizophrenia, etc.), hopelessness, etc. It could be a perfect storm of numerous different problems that could lead to increased aggression.

Although many repeat offenders who have been caught committing numerous violent crimes tend to be from backgrounds that are less advantaged, that doesn't mean that the low intelligence is a cause for the aggression,, particularly since their disadvantaged situation produces many of the triggers of aggression, which include stress.

I would say that a lack of wisdom and knowledge of coping with situations they perceive as stressful is a cause. That's not necessarily synonymous with intelligence, because even the valedictorian in your class will break on your ass if she's feeling like it. :nerd:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2010
  11. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Hmmm, interesting...

12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I think not.

I come from an aggressive, highly intelligent family. Further, highly successful businessmen and politicians, for example, are intelligent and aggressive too.

I think they're unrelated.

13. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Agree.

14. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I went for yes. There's a few kids at school that just seem to say "wanna fight??" if someone disagrees with them or something. It's a real facepalm moment because it makes them look like dumb shits, even though they pretty much are :blink:.

15. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Can i ask what is meant by unnecessary agression?

16. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

People who look to provoke aggressive situations over the pettiest issues.

17. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

That form of aggression belonging to the less intelligent is something that I'm not budging on short of some really good evidence.

18. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I agree with you Rich.....
    I don't think everyone who gets aggresive has low intelligence...

19. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  20. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

My brother is very intelligent but he flies into rages over the slightest frustration, pet peeve or perceived act of disrespect. What is his psychiatric disorder- low frustration tolerance, intermittent rage disorder (my father almost certainly has this) or even damage to the prefrontal cortex (severe childhood physical abuse)?

My father is extremely violent, a rage-aholic and is probably average in intelligence. I have been with my father in countless uncomfortable situations where either his lack of intelligence or his temper short circuited his employing higher thinking diplomatic and de-escalation techniques. In my brother's case, above average intelligence cannot compensate for a true and fundamental defect in his ability to control his rage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.