unsure about socializing or dating

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by morning rush, Jun 24, 2014.

1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I found out about meetup.com It sort of a website where there are tons of people doing meet ups depending on what they like, like a writing meet up or dating meet up or learning a language meet up etc. And they have dates where you can all meet and do whatever the group is about. It sounds really interesting but I don't want to go alone. I find myself scared and unsure.

I mean what am I going to tell them? I don't work, I have no life, no friends, no money, no car...who would want to be friends with someone like me or, even dare I think, date me? Plus I'm overweight...
  2. shadowheart

shadowheart Well-Known Member

I'd say give it a go...
    People like to talk about themselves so just ask them lots of questions.
    Also, you don't need to talk about things that you have (or don't have), talk about things that you like. Music or art of movies are all good choices.
    The people going to something like this are probably all a bit unsure, just like you, so you might find it much easier than you think.
    Good luck :]
  3. morning rush

thanks, you're right. But I wish I didn't go by myself. I have social phobia and generalized anxiety so that's not helping. Still, I might just kick myself in the butt and try.
  4. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Firstly and sorry if I sound blunt most decent folk don't give a shit if you have no job or car or whatever, if they like you they like for being you none of the adds on. If they are that fickle are they worth knowing? Just always be yourself, and someone doesn't link you for it that's their problem

Secondly please if you will meet someone from the internet please do keep yourself safe, I know it sounds dumb but make sure you know the person is who they say they are etc
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
  5. morning rush

well the thing is a group, it's a whole bunch of people who meet up to do all kinds of things, there is also the speed dating which I imagine is an organized event. But you are right, Perfect melacholy, I will be careful. You never really know like you said.

yeah I guess you're right :) thank you so much...
  6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I know how you feel. It's awful. But meetup.com sounds like a good first step toward meeting people. I have checked out that site too, but haven't really been to anything I've seen on there yet. Maybe sometime soon. Let us know how it went.
  7. morning rush

yeah it does sound good. I've decided to go to the learning japanese one. It's on tuesdays so hopefully I will go more than once and not run out of there as fast as I can lol...I am very nervous about it, and it's next week...
  8. CD110

CD110 Well-Known Member

If it's any comfort, I'm in a similar life situation and would feel more at ease talking to someone who has similar issues. You're not alone at the bottom of the barrel, that's all I'm saying, lol.