Unsure about something

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Witty_Sarcasm, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

How do you know if someone is losing touch with reality, and has some kind of issue, or if it's just the effects of a substance (in this case, alcohol). The person I'm referring to has been an alcoholic for many years, refuses help and even fails to see there is a problem. They have been increasingly making outbursts for no reason, including accusations of physical assault when there was nothing of the sort done, constantly antagonizing people, randomly yelling or trying to cause arguments, and saying and doing very off the wall things. Is it possible that being an alcoholic for so long could create some sort of psychosis? The person in question is not particularly pleasant while sober, but their behavior becomes much worse after they have been drinking. I'm just not sure what to do at this point, so any advice would be helpful.
  2. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

I can't really say for sure because I'm not around or even a doctor. But I would assume- and this is just an assumption- it probably has to do with the alcohol. It can do strange stuff to people.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there,

My personal experiences with alcohol is that it switches my personality 360! It makes me angry, enraged, never happy. Alcohol does not agree with me at all. I even got into a argument with someone about a month ago when I was drunk, bad idea...I didn't leave the house for a week or 2 after it. I will not drink again. I mean that.

I have seen people hallucinate while drinking (I even have ) alcohol, maybe mixed with meds? So I guess yes it can make you psychotic. Long term effects of alcoholism can include nearly every mental illness you can think of including schizophrenia, delusions, personality disorders...So to answer your question. Yes definitely. The person in question needs help now to help sober up and deal with the psychological effects. But the real question here is HOW. And that I cannot answer. I'm sorry but maybe when they are sober tell them how worried you are about them...tell them how they behave while under the influence, I'm unsure, try anything you can so that this person will see they are a hazard to themselves.

Whoever this person is to you, they are lucky to have such a caring person thinking of them while you are already hurting so much -speaks volumes about you :) - Best of luck in this! :hug:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I tell her all the time when she's sober, but she doesn't seem to be willing to change anything. She says she doesn't remember anything she does when drunk. If she doesn't want to get help, that's her choice. But when it affects my well being, I find it hard to deal with. That's why I wish something would change, and I hope it does soon.
  5. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

In what way is it affecting your well-being? Do you live with them?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.