Unsure *spiritual/otherworldly*

Discussion in 'The Uncertainty Principle' started by n/a, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n/a

n/a Guest

I was wondering if people could say there opinion on this because i'm finding it hard to form my own opinion about it.

I know this person who says they are in touch with a spiritual world, they have visions and dreams predicting events. They have also said they have flashbacks of a previous life and that in certain places this can be triggered more. They say this is the main cause of their depression, as they are spending more and more time in the spiritual world than this world.

Does anyone have any thoughts or information about this?
    I dont know whether to believe it or not, i myself have know experience with such things and therefore dont feel much right in just rejecting it.

x

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Difficult one. could be they're hallucinating.

I find it difficult to answer because my grandmother was into Spiritualism and she could tell you things you hadn't told a soul.

During my childhood I met many mediums and the good ones were amazing. I now firmly believe in the afterlife because of what I heard and saw as a child.

However, seeing and hearing things can be a sign of mental illness. My grandmother never became depressed from contact with the spirit world.

3. amee

amee Active Member

I've engaged in that kind of escapism since my childhood. A lot of people do it in one form or another; artists and writers have done it openly since the beginning of the story.

The important thing isn't so much whether it's true, but what it does for the person. How it makes them feel that they don't feel otherwise.

It could be, as Devastated said, that they're hallucenating -- but you're not going to be able to diagnose that. I think all you need to do to be a good friend is support them through their depression, and recommend professional help to them on that basis if the situation looks that dire.

--A

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.